locked
Having a hard time finding right .INF file RRS feed

  • Question

  • So I'm just trying to get this to work on Virtural PC 2007 so I can just take a look at it for the time. Though I get the error saying the hard drive is not capable, would like to load your own driver?

    I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron E1505 labtop, 1G RAM, 80G Hard drive, Intel 8280 1GBM/GHM Serial ATA Storage Controller, 2Ghz Processor. I also have an 100g external Hard drive.

    So would anybody happen to know what INF file to use or where to get it? I seem to be having an issue trying to find the right one off intel's site and dells.

    Scott


    Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:47 PM

All replies

  •  DaGame16 wrote:
    So I'm just trying to get this to work on Virtural PC 2007 so I can just take a look at it for the time. Though I get the error saying the hard drive is not capable, would like to load your own driver?

    I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron E1505 labtop, 1G RAM, 80G Hard drive, Intel 8280 1GBM/GHM Serial ATA Storage Controller, 2Ghz Processor. I also have an 100g external Hard drive.

    So would anybody happen to know what INF file to use or where to get it? I seem to be having an issue trying to find the right one off intel's site and dells.

    Scott




    Virtual installs are unsupoprted and so are laptop installs.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:59 PM
  • Hi,

    Installing whs on virtual pc and as well on laptop not supported (tho, many done it on both).

    I think the problem, becouse whs can not "enough" space in that 80gb folder.

    Do your laptop BIOS support booting from that external 100gb? If so, let that the system drive for WHS.

    Please notice, any drive when installing the whs will be format. So your internal HD wil lbe format as well.

    But if you run VP on that external drive, then no problem if you manage to install it.

    My best.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:04 PM
  • Alrightly then... I still get the error when I tried sticking in on another dell desktop, kinda old but it still works. I know you're suppose to use a 80g hard drive for it (I was using a 40G just for kicks) but I still get the same error about the hard drive not being capable and asking me to load my own driver.

    or am I just kinda screwed with this and should try getting a better machine to run WHS?
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:04 PM
  •  DaGame16 wrote:
    Alrightly then... I still get the error when I tried sticking in on another dell desktop, kinda old but it still works. I know you're suppose to use a 80g hard drive for it (I was using a 40G just for kicks) but I still get the same error about the hard drive not being capable and asking me to load my own driver.

    or am I just kinda screwed with this and should try getting a better machine to run WHS?


    The minimum specs are in the WHS RC package in a PDF file.

    Good luck...

    Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:07 PM
  •  DaGame16 wrote:
    Alrightly then... I still get the error when I tried sticking in on another dell desktop, kinda old but it still works. I know you're suppose to use a 80g hard drive for it (I was using a 40G just for kicks) but I still get the same error about the hard drive not being capable and asking me to load my own driver.

    or am I just kinda screwed with this and should try getting a better machine to run WHS?


    Many installed whs in very low system, as me, but that while the beta last, if you like WHS and need to go with it, then better system dedicated to it will be best.

    My best.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:10 PM
  • While virtualization isn't supported, I have severa Virtual PC images that I use for testing things, and I've never had a problem installing.

     

    Here's a hint: don't accept the defaults when you create your virtual machine. Give the WHS VM 512 MB of virtual RAM, and a virtual drive of at least 65 GB (real GB, not "drive manufacturer GB"). VPC won't allocate more space for the virtual drive than you actually need, so you won't use up your entire HD with it.

     

    Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:21 PM
    Moderator
  •  Ken Warren wrote:

    While virtualization isn't supported, I have severa Virtual PC images that I use for testing things, and I've never had a problem installing.

     

    Here's a hint: don't accept the defaults when you create your virtual machine. Give the WHS VM 512 MB of virtual RAM, and a virtual drive of at least 65 GB (real GB, not "drive manufacturer GB"). VPC won't allocate more space for the virtual drive than you actually need, so you won't use up your entire HD with it.

     



    He'd be better off taking the 100G drive out of the external case and putting it in the older dell desktop than a virtual install on a laptop, imo.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:25 PM
  • While all of those are good ideas, I'm still having this issue with not getting the correct INF file....

    But thanks for the answers I've getting so far.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:45 PM
  •  DaGame16 wrote:
    While all of those are good ideas, I'm still having this issue with not getting the correct INF file....

    But thanks for the answers I've getting so far.


    If the SATA driver floppy from Dell, for your hardware, doesn't work then you may be out of luck. Unsupported installs...may not install. Try making the VPC drive 80G IDE instead. *shrug*

    Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:13 PM
  • I can't think of any reason why a virtual disk would give you that error, to be honest. Even if you created an advanced virtual disk that's linked to a physical hard disk, the hardware should still be virtualized to look like a regular disk drive as far as anything running in the VM is concerned. Have you tried installing some other OS in the virtual machine, just to see if there's something wrong with your installation of Virtual PC or the way the VM is configured?
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 1:46 PM
    Moderator