Question about having a boot drive with WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am building a system that I will be installing WHS on to.  My question is, can I install WHS onto say a 160GB drive and then have 4 1.5TB drives for data and is there a way to tell WHS not to use the boot disk to store any data and only use the 1.5TB drives?  My fear is that data will be copied to the boot drive and it fails and I lose any data that might be stored on that drive.  Thanks for the help.  I'm sure I'll have many more questions as this system gets running.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:23 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I am building a system that I will be installing WHS on to.  My question is, can I install WHS onto say a 160GB drive and then have 4 1.5TB drives for data

Yes.

and is there a way to tell WHS not to use the boot disk to store any data and only use the 1.5TB drives?

No, but it won't store data on the primary drive until last (when the other drives are nearly full).

My fear is that data will be copied to the boot drive and it fails and I lose any data that might be stored on that drive.

That's what Folder Duplication is for.  :)

Thanks for the help.  I'm sure I'll have many more questions as this system gets running.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by CraigNan Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:09 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I am building a system that I will be installing WHS on to.  My question is, can I install WHS onto say a 160GB drive and then have 4 1.5TB drives for data

Yes.

and is there a way to tell WHS not to use the boot disk to store any data and only use the 1.5TB drives?

No, but it won't store data on the primary drive until last (when the other drives are nearly full).

My fear is that data will be copied to the boot drive and it fails and I lose any data that might be stored on that drive.

That's what Folder Duplication is for.  :)

Thanks for the help.  I'm sure I'll have many more questions as this system gets running.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by CraigNan Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:09 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:22 AM
  • Kariya21,

Thanks for the quick response.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 3:50 PM