Oh woe! one of my Win 7 pro desktops keeps giving the same message. This is related to downloading the connection software. RRS feed

• Question

• "Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress,or, the computer has a restart pending.  Either complete the installation process, or, restart the computer and try to connect it again" 

I have followed the directions with no success.  I have rebooted both the server and this work station.  My other desktop downloaded and ran the software.  I have checked for both work stations running the same open ports.  Any ideas???

N0ORM

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:23 AM

Answers

• Check this forum for this exact problem. You will find you need to rename a registry key - PendingFileRenameOperations if memory serves me correctly.

OK, I did it for you. This is from one of my previous posts:

To work around the pending reboot issue:

1. Open Regedit

2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"

3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Hope that helps.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:26 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by N0orm Radio Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:27 PM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:03 PM

All replies

• Check this forum for this exact problem. You will find you need to rename a registry key - PendingFileRenameOperations if memory serves me correctly.

OK, I did it for you. This is from one of my previous posts:

To work around the pending reboot issue:

1. Open Regedit

2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"

3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Hope that helps.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:26 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by N0orm Radio Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:27 PM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:03 PM
  • Phil,

Thank you for your help...I am interested in how you found the solution..Also  for other users information do not reboot after the rename!  Just run the connector procedure!

N0ORM

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Lost in the mists of time! This all happened a number of years ago! I do recall however that it was generally caused by the installation of a Logitech WebCam that did not remove the registry key after its installation completed.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Wednesday, August 27, 2014 4:23 PM More info
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:58 PM