none
Need to embed a document manager in our VB.net website RRS feed

• Question

• We are creating an online application for case managers that will enable them to keep track of relevant information, track client contact, create treatment planning documents, and link their work with billing units. For the planning documents, they need a great deal of flexibility and they will need to ultimately convert them to pdf format in order to coordinate with other agencies.  We envisioned letting them use standard word processing documents such as Microsoft Word.  Our application needs to store and to serve up document templates that the users create, and store and organize documents created for individuals.  VB6 used OLE to facilitate document management for a desktop application.  Is there a similar modality for a VB.net web application?  Open XML was suggested to us, but the documentation that was offered was "archived" and "no longer maintained." 

LouatMonaco

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 4:52 PM

Answers

• Well SharePoint allows sharing of all kinds of information, scheduling for small or large business purposes while Open XML is a document format which can be used say in SharePoint.

Look at Wikipedia definition for SharePoint for an overall view.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SharePoint 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by LouatMonaco Tuesday, September 5, 2017 6:14 PM
    Friday, August 25, 2017 10:20 PM

All replies

• Hello,

What type of project ASP.NET ? If so you might consider asking here. If another type of project please specify.

SharePoint might be a viable option for part of the application.

In regards to Open XML, about the only thing I've done with this is Excel, not with Word. Excel there are libraries such as SpreadSheetLight (as in my code sample) which is free.

If the web project was not vb.net I would had suggested this companies products for word processing.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 7:59 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Karen.  I work only two days per week, so my responses will be delayed.  Yes, this is an asp.net project and I will try the other forum you suggested.  In the desktop application we are replacing, we store the path for each document in the database.  Each individual document can be reached from a dropdown menu in the application.  I can't picture doing that with SharePoint, but I have no experience with SharePoint.  If you can tell us any more about SharePoint, that would be appreciated. 

In the meantime, we have found updated documentation for Open XML  Our understanding is that with Open XML we could automatically create a document and add content to it, but it appears that once the document is fed to the user's local MS Word application, the website would lose control of it.  We want the user to be able to edit the document then save it and upload it back to the website from within the application.  In your experience using Open XML for Excel documents, did you do anything like that?

LouatMonaco

Friday, August 25, 2017 6:33 PM
  • Well SharePoint allows sharing of all kinds of information, scheduling for small or large business purposes while Open XML is a document format which can be used say in SharePoint.

Look at Wikipedia definition for SharePoint for an overall view.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SharePoint 

VB Forums - moderator

• Marked as answer by LouatMonaco Tuesday, September 5, 2017 6:14 PM
    Friday, August 25, 2017 10:20 PM
  • Thanks, Kareninstructor, for the wikipedia link.  In it I found a reference to API's for vb.net.  There are so many of them I don't know where to begin.  Also, we are on a very tight budget so I am trying to get an idea of cost of SharePoint.  Can only find cost per user which doesn't seem to make sense.  For an isolated small-time developer it seems like a mountain to climb.  :-)

LouatMonaco

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:44 PM
  • Will downloading Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2015 give us the right tools to work with in trying to create a document manager in our web app?  (We are using VS 2015 to develop the app.)

LouatMonaco

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:07 PM
  • We have downloaded Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio and are going to try using the "SharePoint add-in" that is included in that suite.  It looks promising.

LouatMonaco

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 6:14 PM