Connector Software With Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bits RRS feed

• Question

• I got my new Laptop yesterday - running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits. Since all my software is located on my Home Server the first thing I had to do was to install Home Server Connector Software (from the original CD). When I did this I was told it could not run on a 64 bits system. Then I copied the Software folder from my Home Server and tried installing. This worked OK - found my Home Server - entered the password - got the green mark that the Laptop was created on the Home server - but when installing / preparing the backup it stopped. I had uninstall and try again. After trying 5 times I got a new problem - I was unable to create more users (10 users were already created).

So: When looking at the users-list there are only 5 users registered, how do I delete the "invisible" users, and how do I install the Home Server Connector Software on my new laptop?
    Friday, October 30, 2009 5:50 PM

Answers

• Finally – problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!

For some reason my Home Server Connector Software folder did not include the x64 files. When I placed them in the folder the installation went without a hitch!

Thanks to everybody for all their help!!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:54 PM

All replies

• You should never use the original Connector CD. Always try the installation from http://yourhomeservername:55000.
    Here you will find the version of the Connector software, which matches the current patch level of your server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, October 30, 2009 9:36 PM
  • I have tried this, but when I press the install now button this brings me to a web-page that can't be found!

I remerber that there is a way around this, but I don't remember how and couldn't find it on the Forum.

Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:04 AM
  • I got my new Laptop yesterday - running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits. Since all my software is located on my Home Server the first thing I had to do was to install Home Server Connector Software (from the original CD). When I did this I was told it could not run on a 64 bits system. Then I copied the Software folder from my Home Server and tried installing. This worked OK - found my Home Server - entered the password - got the green mark that the Laptop was created on the Home server - but when installing / preparing the backup it stopped. I had uninstall and try again. After trying 5 times I got a new problem - I was unable to create more users (10 users were already created).

So: When looking at the users-list there are only 5 users registered, how do I delete the "invisible" users, and how do I install the Home Server Connector Software on my new laptop?
    Are you sure you hit the 10 user limit?  There is no reason for multiple users to have been created on the server (unless you kept creating users yourself in the Console).  Now if you mean you hit the 10 computer limit, I can see how that might occur.  Also, did the software successfully install?  (You make it sound like it did, then when you tried backing up your client, it failed).  If that's the case, you should run chkdsk /r on each hard drive in your client.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:50 PM
  • Are you sure you hit the 10 user limit?  There is no reason for multiple users to have been created on the server (unless you kept creating users yourself in the Console).  Now if you mean you hit the 10 computer limit, I can see how that might occur.  Also, did the software successfully install?  (You make it sound like it did, then when you tried backing up your client, it failed).  If that's the case, you should run chkdsk /r on each hard drive in your client.

I never got to finish the installation. During the installation it first registers the user on the Home Server (first green mark) and then it creates a backup plan (here I got a red X). The installation then stops and my only choice are to uninstall. So, I never manage to finish the installation.

When trying to install now i get the message: This computer cannot be added to the Windows Home Server. A maximum of 10 computers have already been added.

When checking users on the Home Server (through one of my other computers) there are only 5 users!

So I guess what I need to do is delete the 5 invisible users and the find a way to install my new laptop……but how?

Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:43 PM
  • I never got to finish the installation. During the installation it first registers the user on the Home Server (first green mark) and then it creates a backup plan (here I got a red X). The installation then stops and my only choice are to uninstall. So, I never manage to finish the installation.

When trying to install now i get the message: This computer cannot be added to the Windows Home Server. A maximum of 10 computers have already been added.

When checking users on the Home Server (through one of my other computers) there are only 5 users!

So I guess what I need to do is delete the 5 invisible users and the find a way to install my new laptop……but how?

No, there are no invisible users (users and computers are not the same).  You have hit the 10 computer limit (which is why I asked what I did).  You should be able to remove the "non-existant" computers in the Computers & Backup tab of the Console.  Just make sure you remove the correct ones.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:58 PM
  • My mistake, I have not been precise enough! On my Home Server there are 5 computers (from the Computers & Backup tab) and 7 users (from User Account tab). Still I get the 10 computer warning when I start the installation.

So how can I remove the invisible computers (!) to make room for my new laptop?

Thanks for helping me!!

Sunday, November 1, 2009 7:20 AM
  • My mistake, I have not been precise enough! On my Home Server there are 5 computers (from the Computers & Backup tab) and 7 users (from User Account tab). Still I get the 10 computer warning when I start the installation.

So how can I remove the invisible computers (!) to make room for my new laptop?

Thanks for helping me!!

Ahh ok, now I get it.  :)

The supported method would be to do a Server Reinstallation.  The (unsupported) alternative would be to go into the registry and delete the appropriate entries.  NOTE:  If you are not familiar with modifying registry settings, I would strongly advise against doing this as there is the potential of making your situation far worse if done incorrectly.  Please see the post:  Unable to connect PC to Windows Home Server because 8 PC's (NOT 10) already connected for details.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 12:45 AM
  • There are 10 entries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I will go ahead and delete the ones that only consist of 3 lines!?!
    My next question: what was the trick to run http://myhomeservername:55000 without going to a web page that can't be found?
    Monday, November 2, 2009 8:50 PM
  • OK - I deleted the strings containing 3 lines, and the error message concerning the number of computers disappeared. Now i am back to my original problem.

When trying to install the Connector Software, I find the Server, type the password, get a green mark next to the message ”Joining Windows Home Server”, but after a while I get a red mark next to ”Configuring computer backup” and the message: Ensure that your server is powered on and connected to the network.

By the way. I just installed the Connector Software on another computer that I just upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bits. No problems!!!  (The same server that I have been using all the time!).

I noticed that the Connector Software said that I was running Home Server with PP1, but I believe it is PP2. Might this be part of the problem? If so, how do I get the Connector Software with PP2?

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:11 PM
  • The installer showing Power Pack 1 in the text is a minor bug, since the text string was not upgraded. Check the file date of the msi files in the software share in folder Home Server Connector software.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Finally – problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!

For some reason my Home Server Connector Software folder did not include the x64 files. When I placed them in the folder the installation went without a hitch!

Thanks to everybody for all their help!!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:54 PM