Design Help - Group Membership - memberOf AD Attribute RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for the most efficient way to design Contact custom attibutes, custom entities (perhaps), and relationships to facilitate the creation of marketing lists by searching (via advanced search) Contacts which belong to groups in Active Directory...the memberOf AD Attribute.  It would be most efficient if the desired memberOf search value was a picklist or lookup rather than a text field.

I'm using CRM 4.0 and the Data Migration Manager. I started with a new custom entity Group_in_AD of type picklist and I added a custom memberOf attribute to the Contact entity of type textarea...when I tried to create a relationship I got an error indicating that the related values need to be of the same type...I'm not sure how to make that work and haven't found a solution by searching the documentation or furums.

If anyone can point me to existing examples or in the right direction it would be very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Saturday, September 6, 2008 9:04 PM

Answers

• Your contacts are going to be potentially members of multiple AD groups, right?

All you really need to do is create a Group in AD entity with one field, the name attribute.  Use this to populate your master list of AD groups

Then create a many to many relationship between contacts and groups.  Call your nav bar item Member Of, and then you will be able to associate multiple groups with contacts and multiple contacts with groups.

That's the most efficient way to do it.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 1:51 AM

All replies

• Your contacts are going to be potentially members of multiple AD groups, right?

All you really need to do is create a Group in AD entity with one field, the name attribute.  Use this to populate your master list of AD groups

Then create a many to many relationship between contacts and groups.  Call your nav bar item Member Of, and then you will be able to associate multiple groups with contacts and multiple contacts with groups.

That's the most efficient way to do it.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 1:51 AM
  • Thanks Joel - That works great!

One more tip I could really use:  How can I import the relationship?  Doing it manually via the GUI works like a charm but I have far too many to manually enter...I'm searching for the "how to import relationships" and haven't yet found it.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:26 AM