Removing a missing drive RRS feed

• Question

• For some stupid reason I accidentally deleted the partitions on two of my data drives attached to my WHS. After recovering the partitions WHS still didn't see them as the original drives despite me being able to see the data (De folder etc). As a result I decided to add two of the same size disks and then copy over the data from the messed up drives. Does removing the 'missing' drives from WHS simply remove the references to the files that were on those particular drives?
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 10:51 AM

All replies

• Removing the missing drives trys to fix the references, so if duplication was on, the tombstones are now relocated to connect to the secondary copy, otherwise the tombstones should either go away or report a file conflict (not sure about the outcome).

Copying data directly is never a good idea, since WHS doesn't know, how to handle that.
    Please read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure, which describes the only reliable method how to bring back the data to the server, if no backup is available.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:12 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

thanks for the reply. I'm following that very guide. I'm only accessing the data directly on the drives WHS says are missing e.g., d:\de\shares\folder1. I'm copying that to \\WHS\Folder1 so that should be ok right? Additionally I needed to remove the missing drives before copying as it kept giving me some error when trying to copy the actual file.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Hi,
    if data on drive D: is missing from the view of the server and this was not only a bad selected example, the situation is worst case and you should start over with a fresh install on a clean disk. (Or try a Server reinstall, if it is offered.)  Drive D: is the only drive, which should not go missing under any circumstances, because in this situation several WHS components are in the dark.
    And dont copy from DE\shares\folder1 directly to \\WHS\Folder1, since this could cause a kind of circular references. Instead create another share, copy the files to that place and delete the original share, if this copy is ok. Wait until duplication happened (if it was a folder with duplication on) and after that you can recreate the share (or rename the new share to the old name).
    Olaf
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:23 AM
  • Well folder duplication was not enabled ( :( ). If a look at the two drives that were considered missing both obviously contain say de\shares\folder1 but have different files on each drive e.g. drive1:\\de\folder1\media1.avi and drive2:\\de\folder1\media2.avi. If I look at the WHS server it had the remaining files whs:\\folder1\media3/4/5etc.avi. I assume because these files have been 'balanced' across the other disks.  While the two drives that were missing remained in the WHS as 'missing', the file references/tombstones remained but obviously couldn't be accessed as the drives were 'missing' and thus so were the files. The drives exist outside of the WHS now but contain the missing files I want. I had to remove the missing drives to remove the references to the missing files. So essentially I'm merging the files from the missing drives with the folders still on the WHS.
    • Edited by gntfftrdff Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:50 AM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:32 AM
  • Yes, this kind of data split up can happen, if the disk space on the server is narrow. Otherwise, if you have the fully updated version of WHS in use, data will not be stored on drive D: in a 3 disk system unless there is not enough space on the data disks.

For the future you should also use the backup function, as long as the data is important to you. If a disk fails, and neither duplication is enabled or a backup of the data in the shared folders is done, the data is lost. If two disks are failing at the same time, the data may be lost as well without a functioning backup.

Olaf
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:32 PM