none
Numbers don't match! RRS feed

• Question

• The number of replies and answers listed in my profile don't match (there is about 1K difference) with the numbers I see when I Browse Forums Users. Do the replies count all replies ever made even deleted?
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Monday, October 31, 2011 2:39 AM

Answers

• This is correct. We currently do not decrement counts when replies are deleted. This is also why sometimes the answer count is out of sync if something is marked as an answer, then unmarked we currently don't compensate for that. Fixing this is in our plans, just do not have a target date yet for getting this out yet.

Clarification here. We do decrement values for answered uncheck/check, however we do not however decrement for number of posts/replies. This is as of right now, so this may change in the future if we find it desirable.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 9:22 PM

All replies

• There is at least one other possibility...

One system is dependent on the other (so one is faster).

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Monday, October 31, 2011 3:01 AM
    Owner
  • But 1K difference is a bit excessive. I think my theory (one counts everything including deleted, the other counts only non-deleted replies) sounds more plausible.

My blog

Monday, October 31, 2011 3:09 AM
  • But 1K difference is a bit excessive. I think my theory (one counts everything including deleted, the other counts only non-deleted replies) sounds more plausible.

My blog

Good point. You probably do have 1K deleted replies lying around, you've been at it so long and so faithfully.

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Monday, October 31, 2011 5:22 AM
    Owner

My blog

Which number is higher? The Forum User search or the Profile?

Thanks!

Monday, October 31, 2011 5:22 AM
    Owner
  • Profile is higher in both numbers - number of replies and number of answers.

My blog
    Monday, October 31, 2011 1:03 PM
  • I confirmed that deleted replies are still counted towards total replies by deleting one of my replies. I prefer to have only non-deleted replies to be counted.

My blog
    Monday, October 31, 2011 2:38 PM
  • I have always seen a difference, with the "Browse Forum Users" total slightly higher than the Profile total number of answers. I thought the difference might be the number of replies of my own that I marked as answers about a year ago, when we were encouraged to "clean" up the forums by "closing" threads. The "Browse Forum Users" totals probably include self marked replies, and I would hope the Profile totals would not. My plan was to check if the difference remains constant, but I need time to verify that.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    Monday, October 31, 2011 3:29 PM
  • In my case Browse Forum Users show total posts ~1K less than Profile and Total number of answers about 60 less than Profile.

I already confirmed that Profile included deleted replies into the total. I'm not yet sure why I'm seeing the difference in total answers.

Numbers from Browse Users: 17,172 and 5,914

Numbers from Profile:           18,615 and 5,970

My blog

Monday, October 31, 2011 3:38 PM
  • @Naomi N

If you don't save your activity daily, you will lost it... They are not able to count or backup some data.

dni
    Monday, October 31, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Hi Naomi !

I think Browse from user is slow its not real time. I have also seen the difference in my Replies and Answers. I have never given an eye to this but now i just noticed there has been a difference.

Numbers from Browse Users : 695 Posts , 152 Answers

Numbers from Profile : 704 Replies , 154 Answers

The difference which i see is might be what they take as reply and post. Are these both same, if same then both of these number shoubd be same on both web pages. And also my Answers numbers are different too so it clearly shows Browse from users system is not real time while Profile Page shows real time activity. I think they have some kind of a job which daily synch our activity into Browse from Users.

Thanks, Hasham

Monday, October 31, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Just noticed that my reply which i have done to this post its count is avilable in both Browse from users and Profile Page..

Thanks, Hasham

Monday, October 31, 2011 8:49 PM
  • The situation has always been reversed for me. At present:

Numbers from Browse Users:  3,659 posts, 1,752 answers

Numbers from my Profile: 3,638 replies, 1,708 answers

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    Monday, October 31, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Browse users data is not super reliable. After we moved from forums home grown buggy system to recognition we turned off a bunch of back end processes that populate some of the data in browse users. Forums browse users data is suspect until we either replace the page to pull recognition data or replace it with some other leaderboards.  Profile data should be considered the gold standard, correct source now and going forward.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Monday, October 31, 2011 9:11 PM
  • This is correct. We currently do not decrement counts when replies are deleted. This is also why sometimes the answer count is out of sync if something is marked as an answer, then unmarked we currently don't compensate for that. Fixing this is in our plans, just do not have a target date yet for getting this out yet.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 9:12 PM

Clarification here. We do decrement values for answered uncheck/check, however we do not however decrement for number of posts/replies. This is as of right now, so this may change in the future if we find it desirable.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Thanks. Let's hope both problems will be fixed as I want to see the current numbers, not the numbers of replies made (including deleted replies) and the actual answers (not answers ever received, if some were unmarked).

My blog
    Monday, October 31, 2011 9:24 PM
  • Thanks. Let's hope both problems will be fixed as I want to see the current numbers, not the numbers of replies made (including deleted replies) and the actual answers (not answers ever received, if some were unmarked).

My blog

Agreed. Good points, Naomi. I can understand keeping the numbers for unlocking Medals (medals aren't so important that it's worth the cost of adding a feature to steal peoples' medals away), but you want to see accurate numbers.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 9:33 PM
    Owner
  • Browse users data is not super reliable. After we moved from forums home grown buggy system to recognition we turned off a bunch of back end processes that populate some of the data in browse users. Forums browse users data is suspect until we either replace the page to pull recognition data or replace it with some other leaderboards.  Profile data should be considered the gold standard, correct source now and going forward.
    Community Forums Program Manager

Naomi,

Isn't this the answer? It looks like "X gives us bad data. We use Y. We hope to retire X." Isn't that the answer?

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:16 AM
    Owner
  • The behavior that I would prefer is:

1. Decrement number of replies if reply was deleted. I don't want deleted replies to affect my total number of replies.

2. Have an up to date Browse for Users, so I can see my standing among the other users.

My blog
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:15 PM