We thought Bill had told you guys that XML was GOOD? RRS feed

• Question

• Why are you not indexing sites that use it?

We use extensive RSS Feeds to give users easy access to the specific information they want automatically.

The problem is MSN is crawling the site so slow that no one will ever find us through the Live Search, 9 pages indexed in 4 years.

If there is a better way to submit our site to MSN can you tell us, we have already authenticated, submitted sitemaps

and waited a long time.

We are pretty sure there are no structural problems with the site because Google and Yahoo are visiting and indexing regularly.

Any ideas or comments on what the problem is that causing the slow crawl rate and lack of indexing would be appreciated.

The site is: www.property-list.net

Friday, March 21, 2008 2:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for the long delay. I am currently showing 22 pages in our index. Have you tried adding your sitemap links inside your robots.txt file?

Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry for the long delay. I am currently showing 22 pages in our index. Have you tried adding your sitemap links inside your robots.txt file?

Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Hi

I had a look at your site and I noticed you only use graphic links on your homepage. All search engines prefer text links, you could had these at the bottom of your page.

I clicked on some of the buttons on your homepage and they opened in a new window with no link back to the homepage this would also effect how searchs crawed your site.

If you introduced a better navigation system you would greatly improve your rankings with all SE not just LS

The best practise is to include a nav system where you can reach all the main pages from every page this also makes it more friendly for your readers without endless opened windows to close

Andy (Web Developer)

Thursday, May 29, 2008 11:24 PM
  • The sitemap has been in robot.txt file for about 3 months now and the sitemap was submitted to webmaster.live.com on numerous occassions.

The site is also verified.

After we first made this post there was a short burst of crawling and then nothing again, this is where the increase in the number of indexed pages occurred.

The other major search engines are indexing 1500-2500 of our pages so we are pretty sure there is not much wrong with the page links, when we crawl our own pages for the sitemap with a generic crawler it does pick them all up.

We are open to any other suggestions that would cause Live Search to notice us a bit more.

Thanks for the input.

Friday, May 30, 2008 1:03 AM
  • No problem

If we forget live seach for a moment, I've published hundreds of sites some have good rankings some not so good. But what they all share in common everyone of their pages have been indexed.

Most spiders / roberts have an aggressive spell and crawl your site to bits, you must of notice sometimes your bandwidth allowance seems to just disappear.

It's almost like they have nothing better to do and just go nuts over the first site they find, but all they are doing is making a note that those pages are there.

They tend to stop when the internal link system comes to a dead end. They cant find a relationship to where they began the intial entry and where to go so your pages just get indexed with nothing more.

Providing a sitemap is just a shortcut to show them where these pages are but if there is no relationship links back to and from other pages within your site then using a sitemap is a waste of time.

Out of your 2500 pages indexed how many of then do you see in the top ten search engine results? It's not about quantity its about quality.

Back to Live Search, Last Oct 07 they brought out this new search engine that replaced MSN they made a bad mistake with their filtering system that was so strict that even the best designed sites were being dropped. They have been working on it and everything was supposed to be sorted by this spring.

I've seen some improvments the last couple of months but with the bid to buy yahoo who knows what will happen.

If your that concerned about indexing with live search I would introduce those text links to give yourself a chance, you have nothing to lose if you are doing so well with other SE apart from getting better top ten rankings?

Andy

Friday, May 30, 2008 1:56 AM
  • We will add the cross links to see what happens but we would still like to hear the moderator's take on things.

Thanks for your input Andy.

Friday, May 30, 2008 2:23 AM