Updation of createdon and modifiedon fields through plugin RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I need to update the  createdon and modifiedon fields of the record when it is created/ updated. The records are created/updated manually. After the records are created/ modified, I need to update the fields (through plugin)

How do I achieve this? 

I tried pre and post plugin messages on create event.

In post create I need to update the fields (createdon and modifiedon) which is not supported.

I also tried using  the pre - create plugin:

Entity Entity1= (Entity)context.InputParameters["Target"];

Entity1["overriddencreatedon"] = usersLocalTime;

1. createdon is not updatable through supported means i.e. SDK and webservices

2. To update createdon, we need to update at SQL level, this is unsupported.

I referred to the following links: 

http://mostlymscrm.blogspot.in/2012/07/understanding-createdon-and.html

Kind Regards,

Rameshwari

Friday, October 11, 2013 8:19 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can't modify createdon date once record is created using supported methods, so it won't work in plugin, but you can change overriddencreatedon.

Our Website | Our Blog | Follow US | My Facebook Page | Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Application Design
    Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

Friday, October 11, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Hi Mahender Sir,

The reason I am setting the value of overriddencreatedon is that overriddencreatedon will be swapped with createdon upon record creation. According to the link http://mostlymscrm.blogspot.in/2012/07/understanding-createdon-and.html, I understand that the fields "overriddencreatedon " and "createdon " will be swapped upon record creation in the plugin. 

I have a concern that I am creating/updating the record manually and I need to update the values of createdon and modifiedon of the record through plugin.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Kind Regards,

Rameshwari

Friday, October 11, 2013 10:03 AM
  • Hi,

The problem is I am creating the record manually. And then firing the plugin .

So the entity is taken from context.

I need to update the createdon of the above created entity. 

Service.update() did n't work. I have already tried it.

:(

Kind Regards,

Rameshwari

Friday, October 11, 2013 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

You can't update creadedon field directly. You will have to update overriddencreatedon  using service.update(). It will swap the values.

It will work.

HTH!

Thanks!

Saturday, October 12, 2013 5:46 AM