CRM 2011 managed solution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

just to be sure, if I have a managed solution including (a new field on an Entity), I won't be able to modify this solution.  But I just have to create another solution and I'll be able to modify this Entity again?

Regards,

Dany

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Dany,

You can only customize an entity if you set managed property of that entity as customizable in your managed solution. ISV's can certainly restrict customers to change any entity in managed solution through managed properties. There is a listing of what managed properties are available in managed solution in SDK. For further clarification, please go through SDK.

Hope this helps,

Ayaz Ahmad CRM Solutions Architect | http://ayazahmad.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Dany,

You can only customize an entity if you set managed property of that entity as customizable in your managed solution. ISV's can certainly restrict customers to change any entity in managed solution through managed properties. There is a listing of what managed properties are available in managed solution in SDK. For further clarification, please go through SDK.

Hope this helps,

Ayaz Ahmad CRM Solutions Architect | http://ayazahmad.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:39 PM
  • If the new field is on a system entity (account, contact, etc), then you are right, you will be able to modify it from another unmanaged solution but not from the managed solution. If the entity is a custom entity then it depends on the managed properties that have been set (like Ayaz mentions).

Furthermore, if it is a custom entity, then modifying the entity in another solution will create a dependency between your new solution and the existing managed solution, so you will always need them both and your solution cannot live without the first managed one.

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:55 PM