Putting the server in hypernation RRS feed

• Question

• I have configured my server power button to put the server in the hypernate mode. What happens if another client happens to be doing a backup when I push the button - does WHS handle this situation properly?  Also, what happens to the IP addresses assigned by my home router?  Does the WHS server detect any IP addresses that may have changed during its hypernation?

What are the downsides, if any, to putting the server in hypernation instead of turning it off?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

• Edited by BobMarso Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:16 PM Clarification
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:13 PM

Answers

• Microsoft didn't design Windows Home Server to include hibernation. So if you put your server in hibernation, it's possible that some things won't work quite the way you would want. For example, putting your server into hibernation may (will) interrupt a backup, resulting in it failing.

If you want to use hibernation on your server, I would recommend you take a look at one of the add-ins that adds that capability
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by BobMarso Monday, March 22, 2010 5:12 AM
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 11:26 PM

All replies

• Microsoft didn't design Windows Home Server to include hibernation. So if you put your server in hibernation, it's possible that some things won't work quite the way you would want. For example, putting your server into hibernation may (will) interrupt a backup, resulting in it failing.

If you want to use hibernation on your server, I would recommend you take a look at one of the add-ins that adds that capability
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by BobMarso Monday, March 22, 2010 5:12 AM
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 11:26 PM
  • Thank you.  I shall.

Monday, March 22, 2010 5:13 AM