Save pair preferences? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

Is there a way to export / import / save the SynToy preferences for the folder pairs that I created?

I currently have about 20 folder pairs and would like to avoid re-creating them after a new installation of win xp... :-o

Maybe some registry values that I can export and import..or a "secret" .dll file to copy? Or at least anything? :-)

Best regards and many thanks in advance,

Nelse

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Nelse,

First of all this is a really good suggestion and looking back, it is somewhat funny that we allow you to synchronize everything except for SyncToy itself.  :-)

In any case, the Sync Toy for 2.0 pairs are kept in a SyncToyBinPairs.bin file located in either

\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0 (for Vista) or

\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0 (for XP)

I have to be upfront that we have never tested this so I am not sure exactly what will happen, but if you like, you could try copying this file to your new machine in the same directory, and I would expect all of your existing pairs should be there when you open SyncToy.

If you get a chance to try this, please let me know how it goes.

Liam

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Nelse,

First of all this is a really good suggestion and looking back, it is somewhat funny that we allow you to synchronize everything except for SyncToy itself.  :-)

In any case, the Sync Toy for 2.0 pairs are kept in a SyncToyBinPairs.bin file located in either

\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0 (for Vista) or

\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0 (for XP)

I have to be upfront that we have never tested this so I am not sure exactly what will happen, but if you like, you could try copying this file to your new machine in the same directory, and I would expect all of your existing pairs should be there when you open SyncToy.

If you get a chance to try this, please let me know how it goes.

Liam

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Liam,

Is there a way to tell SyncToy not to save the SyncToyDirPairs.bin file in the M:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0 directory?  We use roaming profiles and this "Local Setting" directory does not transfer up to roaming profiles for what ever reason.  I woul like to specify a location for the program to save these configurations.

We are testing this on a Windows 2003 Terminal server and Citrix and have been succesful on getting the product to sync with a hosted terminal server to sync data from the remote network to a local computer.  I.E. Offline file syc for laptop users that travel but log into Terminal serve or Citrix.

Great tool by the way.

Chris

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  lynchpin09 wrote:

Liam,

Is there a way to tell SyncToy not to save the SyncToyDirPairs.bin file in the M:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0 directory?  We use roaming profiles and this "Local Setting" directory does not transfer up to roaming profiles for what ever reason.  I woul like to specify a location for the program to save these configurations.

We are testing this on a Windows 2003 Terminal server and Citrix and have been succesful on getting the product to sync with a hosted terminal server to sync data from the remote network to a local computer.  I.E. Offline file syc for laptop users that travel but log into Terminal serve or Citrix.

Great tool by the way.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately no, you are not able to customize the location as to where you save the SyncToyDirPairs.bin file.  We have noted this for the future as it does make a lot of sense.

Sorry,

Liam

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:32 PM
  • I can confirm that saving SyncToyDirPairs.bin and replacing it after reinstalling it works.

thanks!
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:11 AM
  • Hi Liam, I would be migrating from Vista to Windows 7 in the next few days.
    Should I expect SyncToy to sync the existing folder pairs correctly on Windows 7 that I have synced on Vista??

Additionally, where should I copy SyncToyBinPairs.bin file on Windows 7?

Lastly, suppose I reinstall a system without backing up the SyncToyBinPairs.bin file. After reinstall, if I again create the same folder pairs in SyncToy that existd before the format, would the toy pick up the files correctlt since last sync??
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 8:30 AM
  • Hi Liam, I would be migrating from Vista to Windows 7 in the next few days.
    Should I expect SyncToy to sync the existing folder pairs correctly on Windows 7 that I have synced on Vista??

Additionally, where should I copy SyncToyBinPairs.bin file on Windows 7?

Lastly, suppose I reinstall a system without backing up the SyncToyBinPairs.bin file. After reinstall, if I again create the same folder pairs in SyncToy that existd before the format, would the toy pick up the files correctlt since last sync??

SyncToy works in Win 7 too (I use SyncToy x64).

You must copy SyncToyBinPairs.bin at C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0 where %USER% is your User folder.

When you run a folder pair the program checks all files in the pair and updates It. He will do it correctly.

Lluís
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 9:08 AM
  • When you run a folder pair the program checks all files in the pair and updates It. He will do it correctly.

Lluís
    Are you sure the folders would be synced correctly, even when they have SyncToy's .dat files in them from syncs before the format, I forgot to backup that .bin file, and now I am creating new folder pairs after a reinstall??
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 4:56 AM