none
Four questions about ST2013... RRS feed

• Question

• I am a Windows 7 64 bit user.  I had ST2011 installed and [today] got a banner telling me that 2013 was available.  I purchased and then downloaded and installed it - letting the installer remove the 2011 version.  It never asked me to enter the product key that I was given when I completed the online order.

When it finished installing I restarted my PC.  I clicked on "Register Streets & Trips" on the Help pull-down.  It takes me to a blank page (https://profile.microsoft.com/RegSysProfileCenter/wizard.aspx?wizid=2edced81-a3de-4ef0-b661-c89a13b9e7a3&lcid=1033) where I get the little rotating circle in the middle and it never completes or opens anything.  I tried several times [with reboots in between] but it gave me the same [nothing] results each time.  When I tried MS technical support it would not find or recognize the product id (04919-390-8270855-70103  (Retail)) so I could not send a question via email to MS tech support for a new product only minutes old.

I then figured I would look at a few other things to see if there were any interesting new features -- other than the less-than-appealing icons -- and try some of them out.  I noticed that the "Send to Mobile Phone" menu was grayed out.  I checked in Help and it said that I need to have Outlook 2003 or above for this to work -- I have Outlook 2010 installed.

Four questions:

(1) Why didn't it ask me to enter the Product key I was given?

(2) Why can't I open the registration page?

(3) Why doesn't the support page recognize the product id?

(4) Why can I not get the "Send to Mobile Phone" feature to work?

Thanks in advance for whatever help anyone can offer me.

Howard

Redmond, WA

Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:02 AM

Answers

• "Why doesn't the support page recognize the product id?"

My guess (only a guess) is that it is because the product has been released only few days ago, and they haven't yet entered the new product IDs to the database.

Try it again a few weeks later.

Laptop GPS World

Monday, July 9, 2012 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Howard,

The "Send to mobile" button is grayed out if nothing on the map is selected. Click a city name, or a street name, or select an icon for a restaurant, etc, then the button becomes no longer grayed out.

Laptop GPS World

Sunday, July 8, 2012 1:26 PM
  • Thanks Marvin.  I had assumed that it was for sending the route directions.  Not sure what benefit just sending a place name would be.

Regards.

Woody - Windows 7 64-bit Redmond, WA

Sunday, July 8, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Well, Marvin answered #4 and I answered #2 myself.  I have no idea why IE9 won't access the registration site but I was able to access it and finish the registration process using google Chrome.

That leaves just #1 & #3 unanswered.

Woody - Windows 7 64-bit Redmond, WA

Sunday, July 8, 2012 2:43 PM
  • "Why doesn't the support page recognize the product id?"

My guess (only a guess) is that it is because the product has been released only few days ago, and they haven't yet entered the new product IDs to the database.

Try it again a few weeks later.

Laptop GPS World

Monday, July 9, 2012 2:23 PM