Data recovery RRS feed

• Question

• I had a multidisc WHS with file duplication enabled which died. I have built a new server and used the data pool discs with the "hidden" share folders to manually copy back my data on to the new server. I have finally got to the system disc with the 20GB system partition and a 480GB data partition. Am I right in thinking that I need not attempt to copy anything from this disc as I have (by default) copied a duplicate of everything on it from 1 of the data pool discs?
    I have discovered the ox80070780 error!
    Monday, January 11, 2010 11:07 PM

Answers

• I had a multidisc WHS with file duplication enabled which died. I have built a new server and used the data pool discs with the "hidden" share folders to manually copy back my data on to the new server. I have finally got to the system disc with the 20GB system partition and a 480GB data partition. Am I right in thinking that I need not attempt to copy anything from this disc as I have (by default) copied a duplicate of everything on it from 1 of the data pool discs?

If you had Folder Duplication enabled on all of your shares on your old server and have copied all of the data on each of the secondary drives from the old server to the new server, then there shouldn't be any data on the old primary drive that hasn't been copied to your new server (because everything should have been duplicated somewhere else).  The one caveat to that is it's possible any files copied to your server in the final 60 minutes before it failed might not have been duplicated (because the duplication pass happens every hour), but the data wouldn't have ended up on the primary drive unless all of the secondary drives were nearly full.

Having said all of that, I would still check if it was me.  :)

Monday, January 11, 2010 11:59 PM
  • Files on your system drive are in the same location as any other drive in the storage pool: <driveletter>:\DE\shares\etc. If you're attempting to copy from <driveletter>:\Shares\etc. that's the likely source of your error.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:00 PM

All replies

If you had Folder Duplication enabled on all of your shares on your old server and have copied all of the data on each of the secondary drives from the old server to the new server, then there shouldn't be any data on the old primary drive that hasn't been copied to your new server (because everything should have been duplicated somewhere else).  The one caveat to that is it's possible any files copied to your server in the final 60 minutes before it failed might not have been duplicated (because the duplication pass happens every hour), but the data wouldn't have ended up on the primary drive unless all of the secondary drives were nearly full.

Having said all of that, I would still check if it was me.  :)

Monday, January 11, 2010 11:59 PM
  • That's what I'd hoped! My concern / problem is that if I find files that I have not already copied across, how do I get round the 0x80070780 error that occurs when I plug this old  system drive into my Windows Vista machine and attempt to copy files (or are they simply references to files?) over my network to their rightful place?.
    I've already discovered the joy of plugging this old system drive into my new server! That caused a few heart wrenching minutes!

And thanks for the advice!!
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Files on your system drive are in the same location as any other drive in the storage pool: <driveletter>:\DE\shares\etc. If you're attempting to copy from <driveletter>:\Shares\etc. that's the likely source of your error.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:00 PM