Ugrade To Wndows 7 from Vista with Validation Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have a copy of OEM Vista which, due to replacement of the motherboard, will no longer accept it's OEM SLP  (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/genuinevista/thread/e5b793fb-50a7-4055-9a33-fdd785acfc0a?prof=required).  My COA SLP is no longer legible due to wear and tear.  My validation will expire in about 8 days.  I am trying to get a new COA from the manufacturer but if this fails I guess I will have to purchase new OS software.  Can I upgrade a non-validated copy of Vista to Windows 7 and use the Windows 7 Product Key to validate my OS?
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:22 PM

Answers

• Q.  Can I upgrade a non-validated copy of Vista to Windows 7 and use the Windows 7 Product Key to validate my OS?

A.  No.  You'll need to purchase a full license edition of Windows 7.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:33 PM

• A.  No.  You'll need to purchase a full license edition of Windows 7.
    Carey Frisch

Actually, a better answer would be: No, Windows 7 Upgrade requires the Windows to be upgraded be Validated as Genuine.  If you get the replacment COA, then you could make your current Windows Genuine again and then Upgrade to Win 7.  If you are unable to get a replacment COA, then yes, you would need a full license of Windows 7.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:18 PM

All replies

• Q.  Can I upgrade a non-validated copy of Vista to Windows 7 and use the Windows 7 Product Key to validate my OS?

A.  No.  You'll need to purchase a full license edition of Windows 7.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:33 PM

• A.  No.  You'll need to purchase a full license edition of Windows 7.
    Carey Frisch

Actually, a better answer would be: No, Windows 7 Upgrade requires the Windows to be upgraded be Validated as Genuine.  If you get the replacment COA, then you could make your current Windows Genuine again and then Upgrade to Win 7.  If you are unable to get a replacment COA, then yes, you would need a full license of Windows 7.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:18 PM