none
Microsoft Money - login problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble accessing Microsoft Money after I changed the primary email address for my Microsoft online account. I can log in to the account online with both my primary email and alias and I have also now re-set the password for my online account to ensure that this is not an issue. I have also tried changing the primary email address back to the original one. However,  when I use the primary email to access MS Money, it says "the password is incorrect" and when I use the alias it says that the "sign-in info can't be verified". Its Money 2005 on Windows 10 and was running perfectly well before the update. I need to update the email address as I will no longer be able to access the old one in a couple of months.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:37 AM

Answers

• Thank you. My Money 2005 would not allow me to change the .NET Passport credentials offline, but I has let me remove the .NET Passport credentials. Without logging out of Money 2005, I then set up a Money Password - and this has worked :) I have been able to log back in to the correct file with the Money Password (and no email address) and, at first glance, it all looks the same. Good news.

Thank you all.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:55 PM

All replies

• Money's Windows access credentials are verified online if you are connected to the internet.

Disconnect from the internet, launch Money with the original credentials, then change Money's access method to a simple password.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:49 AM
  • I have managed to launch Money with the original credentials by "working offline". Please can you clarify what you mean by changing the access method? It is the email address of the original credentials that is the problem, not the password. When I lose this original email, I am concerned that MS Money won't work any more (online or offline).
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:49 AM
  • With Money 2005 open, go to File - Password Manager and change to use just a password instead of a Microsoft .NET Passport.

Be sure to remember the password. Without it you will not be able to access your data.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:58 AM
  • Thank you. This is really helpful. I can see where to access this. However, before I do the change please can you clarify for me two things:

1 - The Microsoft.Net passport clearly does not update with the Microsoft online account changes. Is it no longer possible to use Money 2005 online after updating the original email or password? Can the Microsoft.Net passport not be updated?

2 - What is the impact of using Money 2005 offline v online? I am mostly using Money as a record keeping device, but periodically I have downloaded eg my credit card transactions into Money. Presumably this will no longer be possible, but is there anything else that is limited by not being online?

Thursday, March 31, 2016 11:59 AM
    1. There are no online services for Money provided by Microsoft, so online verification with Microsoft is not needed. Changing to a simple password does not affect Money's ability to work online with other services. The change affects only the way you access Money data.
    2. Online access to other providers - banks, credit cards, etc. - depends solely on whether those providers offer Money compatible downloads (or their data can be converted to a Money compatible format) and is not affected by changes to Money's access credentials. In practice, the downloads are usually imported offline: the data is downloaded as a file and the Money user imports the file.
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:27 PM
  • I have accessed Money and, under Password Manager,  confirmed that I want to change the Passport which I use to sign in to the Money file. It then asks me to input my current Passport email address and password - but it then tells me that the email or password is incorrect (although it is what I have successfully used to sign in offline). Using the password now relevant for my online account, I am told that the sign-in info can't be verified. Still the same issue as at the start? Please advise further?

Does it actually matter whether the email address used as the Passport to access Money is a "live" email address or not? What relevance is the email address for the Microsoft.NET Passport access if it is not online?
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:45 PM
  • The problem is that Money 2005 (an old, no longer maintained program) will not let you remove the .NET Passport credentials offline.

I suggest you change your Microsoft Account back to its old settings, then log into Money 2005 online and remove the .NET Passport. Replace it with a Money Password - do not just change the Passport details.

You can then change your Microsoft Account to the new settings you want.

If you are in the US or Canada, you can upgrade to Money Sunset - see the second post in this forum - which would let you remove the credentials offline. This is not an option for any other regional version of Money 2005.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:45 PM
  • Thank you. My Money 2005 would not allow me to change the .NET Passport credentials offline, but I has let me remove the .NET Passport credentials. Without logging out of Money 2005, I then set up a Money Password - and this has worked :) I have been able to log back in to the correct file with the Money Password (and no email address) and, at first glance, it all looks the same. Good news.

Thank you all.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:55 PM