Extremely slow backups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In the begining speed was not an issue.

Been trying to solve speed issue for days now, Just gave up and will let the backup run it course.

The real question is would gigabit LAN improve the speed issue?

This all started when I had a bad cluster on a secondary drive. I removed the failing drive from computer and now backup is very slow let it run for days now. went so far as to reinstall home server. Reinstalling Home server was not the answer. If the computer continues to take days to backip Home server will be of little use other computers on Lan backup in minutes instead of days.

Thanks

Joe

Monday, December 31, 2007 8:20 AM

Answers

• Andrew,

After having backup times of 26, 16, 16, hours I got the machine to backup in 42 minutes.

Fixed the problem.

After many days of doing different things.I did a InPlace upgrade on the computer. That fixed the problem.

Thanks for the help. Pass this on to people with problems.

Thank You

Joe

Saturday, January 5, 2008 10:47 PM
  • Hi,

My problem was not with home server as I had thought in the begining.

It was with the computer I was backing up.

The computer I was backing up displayed NO outward problems other then long backup times. This is after I remove the bad second drive.

That was the reason this problem was hard to track down.

After performing a In place Upgrade that is what Microsoft calls it. Which is a reinstallation of windows on a computer that already has THAT OS on it. Here is the MS KB on this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341 It is called this if you have a dead motherboard and want to move your exisiting hardware and OS to a new motherboard hence In Place Upgrade, but this procedure is used more often to correct OS problems then to transfer hardware.

After the In Place upgrade backup times were fast again.

Thanks

Joe

Monday, March 3, 2008 6:01 AM

All replies

•  

have you tried re-running the backup config for that computer in the WHS console?

as a last resort you could try removing and re-adding the computer to WHS - although this will delete any backups you already have for that computer.

Andrew

Monday, December 31, 2007 9:13 AM
  • Yes,

Removed client from WHS

Readded client to WHS

None of these had a affect

Did a repair of client connect software on client side.

On the client I have removed the connect software and reinstalled.

Renamed the client computer name in hopes a new computer name would do a new complete backup as it would be faster.

Checked for errors on hard drive. Ran chkdsk with all options.

Changed ide cable in hopes computer had a bad cable..

Did a repair of the WHS on server side.

Erased WHS and reinstalled.

If i could force a new complete backup of client I would think it would be faster then having the computer find what clusters have changed. That information has to be stored on the client side somewhere.

Right now on the client after 24 hours Im at 37% and it is progressing. This is a 500G drive with 160G of data.

With a working client with 2 working hard drives it would backup in 20 minutes.

With one drive bad it would hang at 6% with no errors and I would stop backup in the morning. Did this for a week. Tested bad drive found bad cluster. Removed bad drive from client and did not replaced this left one drive in client.

Until this problem WHS has performed great. 

Joe 

Monday, December 31, 2007 2:37 PM
  • If you install the WHS Toolkit you can use it to delete the backups. Just read the instructions before you do anything :-)

Andrew

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:55 PM
  •  

thanks

Will read and install.

Joe

Monday, December 31, 2007 4:22 PM
  • Andrew,

After having backup times of 26, 16, 16, hours I got the machine to backup in 42 minutes.

Fixed the problem.

After many days of doing different things.I did a InPlace upgrade on the computer. That fixed the problem.

Thank You

Joe

Saturday, January 5, 2008 10:47 PM
  • Hm, a bit unclear for me.

Did you inplace upgrade the WHS ? (from which version to which?) Or did you an InPlace Upgrade of your workstation (which to which?)

Thanks for a small update :-)

Sunday, March 2, 2008 4:36 PM
  •  Atrider2007 wrote:

Hm, a bit unclear for me.

Likewise: I'm having big problems with the backup sticking at 35% - suspiciously near your figure. See http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2926854&SiteID=50 for my tale of woe.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 6:32 PM
  •  JoeF2008 wrote:

Andrew,

Fixed the problem.

Thank You

Joe

I'm also unclear.  Please describe what you did in more detail.  I don't even know what an "InPlace Upgrade" is.  What was upgraded?  The Connector software?  If so, I thought you'd already tried that.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 7:57 PM
  • Hi,

My problem was not with home server as I had thought in the begining.

It was with the computer I was backing up.

The computer I was backing up displayed NO outward problems other then long backup times. This is after I remove the bad second drive.

That was the reason this problem was hard to track down.

After performing a In place Upgrade that is what Microsoft calls it. Which is a reinstallation of windows on a computer that already has THAT OS on it. Here is the MS KB on this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341 It is called this if you have a dead motherboard and want to move your exisiting hardware and OS to a new motherboard hence In Place Upgrade, but this procedure is used more often to correct OS problems then to transfer hardware.

After the In Place upgrade backup times were fast again.

Thanks

Joe

Monday, March 3, 2008 6:01 AM