Another Connector wont work/Cant RDP - with a twist. RRS feed

• Question

• 1 Home Server - home built - WHS 1 PP3 since beta - software all 6.0.2423 except Rem Access at 3436 and Storage Mgr at 3039

5 Computers - 3 home built towers/1 Dell tower - 1 Dell Laptop (this is a home network full of geeks)

All Win 7 64bit with dual core proc/2 or 4 Gb Memory. All have been working fine on WHS for between 6 months and 2 years.

Dell and 1 home built WHS Connectors stopped working Jan 14 - no backups, no RDP, no connector. From these two machines, I can still ping by IP addr or name, I can peer with WHS for shares with no impact.

The other three continue to work as they have before - flawlessly - all 5 comps are on the same IP subnet - 192.168.3.0, seperated from ISP router by a Dansguardian box, which has been working for about two months.

WHS is set up with Static on DHCP server, so is the Dell. So far I have made time and date sync, checked firewalls, uninstalled connectors, removed Prog Files directory, removed registery keys. When I go to reinstall, it cant find the homeserver.

The part that gets me is that it is just RDP and Connector - If it was one machine I would think the machine was in need of a refresh, but it is two of 5, with the rest still working fine.

I have checked the updates on the machines, all are the same.

At a loss to think what to check next..

Any suggestions? What other information would be good to know?

Joe

Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:46 PM

Answers

• Well color me embarrassed.....

I had set my AV/FW product (Avast) to block unknown programs (like installing games, etc) but the latest patch updated the program as well and reset all those settings, blocking RDC as well on the Win 7 machines.

I am ok now. :)

Sorry to clutter this up with my faux pas.

Joe

• Marked as answer by throttle_up34 Sunday, January 30, 2011 12:47 AM
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 12:47 AM