Windows wont' shut down RRS feed

• Question

•  

We just had the desktop crash and had to do a complete reinstall though this time we didn't reload half of the stuff that was on there (Windows XP Professional.)  Now, though when you go to shut down Windows you get a box, "Ending ccsvchost" and then it tries to end but doesn't do you get the "end now" button.  You push that and about 10% of the time eventually it shuts down the rest of the time it just hangs so we shut the computer off with the power button. 

Anyone know how to fix this behavior? 

Friday, June 13, 2008 5:42 AM

All replies

•  

Yes i have the exact same issue.

It all began after installing Norton 360 v2 (an upgrade from NIS 2007).

Have you been able to resolve your issue?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 3:01 PM
  • I went round and round with Norton.  I used tech support and they remotely configured some things and fixed it for the moment but then it started again so Norton evidently simply reconstructe what they deleted.  In the end they recommended I go to Norton Internet Security rather than 360; they gave me a complimentary copy and since then things have been fine.  The problem is in something N360 does I suppose.  I've never seen the topic mentioned on their support site nor have I seen any 'fix' offered. 

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 4:42 AM
  • Thanks for the update.

I too had Norton iternet Security 2007 before, and updated to 360 v2, since there was an extra license available from my daughter's computer.  Indeed when i had NIS 2007 , i never experienced these problems.

There are a couple of fixes i didn't have time to try.  Something i found on Norton's community forum.  I believe it changes certain defaults in the registry.

One of the fixes is a tool at this link:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=8f206b56-4435-4f69-8a28-901fa0343177&seg=hho&ct=us&lg=en&docurl=20080401070935EN

If the above fails, i'll try the following:

What needs to happen is to unregister one of our dll's - buShell.dll

Start a command shell

Select Start menu / Run... / type "cmd" without the quotes

Next you will change directories to

type cd "\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Backup" with the quotes

Then you will unregister the dll

type regsvr32 /u buShell.dll

a dialog should be shown with the following text : "DllUnregisterServer in buShell.dll succeeded."

Did they ask u do perform any of the above 2 solutions?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:41 PM