Publishing Microsoft CRM 4.0 Customizations Slows Down System RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has found this issue and might have a solution.

When we publish customizations to our production server, CRM for the users grinds to a halt (both Outlook Client and Web). The obvious solution is to do customizations as rarely as possible, but this still means each time we wish to do the customizations (if we do them out of hours for example) the next day the user logs in it's still going to end up being really slow for them.

The customisations are about 15Mb and we were thinking that perhaps the users with the Outlook client need to download these once a change has been made, slowing things down. This is just a guess though as we can find no documentation stating this. Is this a normal size for the customizations? Are they perhaps corrupted? We do have a substantial number of custom entities (~50).

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:38 PM

Answers

• You may need to involve Microsoft Support if this situation is being caused by a bug of some form, but a sound solution may be to consider a multi-server CRM deployment with clustered SQL servers providing database support.  What makes me most curious is why you would possibly need to make customizations in the middle of use.  Do you create wholly new entities on-the-fly as part of a business process?  You may not be at liberty to disclose such information, but I would consider thoroughly examining the necessity to perform such an unusual and disruptive process during the times of highest usage with a certified Microsoft CRM developer/consultant.

Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com
    Friday, November 19, 2010 4:03 AM

All replies

• Which Update Rollup you are On??

This might well have a significant impact

Cheers, Edwin
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:34 AM
  • Hi Edwin,

The issue first appeared when we were running CRM Update Rollup 11, we have then upgraded to Rollup 12 and the issue is still happening.

You can do the customisations to the system and this is ok, but once you publish (either publish for the single entity or publish all) that's when the users experience the slow down.

Thanks

Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Is this slow slow down is for the first time or everytime?

Regards

Faisal

Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:29 AM
  • Hi Faisal,

How do you mean first time or everytime?

Once the changes are made, the users experience a slow down for somewhere between an hour and two hours and then the system goes back to normal. If a new change were to occur, then the slow down happens again for betwween an hour or two.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:00 PM
  • Are you importing All Customisations or just the entities that have been changed? You must have alot of customisations for the customizations.zip to be 15Mb...

MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:34 PM
  • Hi Rhett,

We do have a substantial number of customizations, as I said above we have approximately 50 custom entities. Is this normal to have such a large file?

We get the slow down regardless it seems. Although I'll check to see whether we are getting the slowdown with just publishing one customization.

Thanks.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:36 PM
  • Did you ever get a solution?  We have almost exactly the same issue.  We do an IIS Reset and it seems to fix it, but we must be able to do customizations during the day and not force an IIS reset on all of our users.
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:11 PM
  • You may need to involve Microsoft Support if this situation is being caused by a bug of some form, but a sound solution may be to consider a multi-server CRM deployment with clustered SQL servers providing database support.  What makes me most curious is why you would possibly need to make customizations in the middle of use.  Do you create wholly new entities on-the-fly as part of a business process?  You may not be at liberty to disclose such information, but I would consider thoroughly examining the necessity to perform such an unusual and disruptive process during the times of highest usage with a certified Microsoft CRM developer/consultant.

Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com
    Friday, November 19, 2010 4:03 AM