none
posibilities for source and target, when implementing a backup. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

strait to the question:

My current task is to create a way to backup files+sql, using azure.

My problem is this:

the source (data to backup) can be located in azure, or on premise, and my target can also be located in azure or on-premise.

can i achieve this with ms sync framework?

can i backup files (leaving the db backup for a moment), that are located within azure, into a different place, that is also located in azure?

can i do the same, where the source to backup is in azure, and the target to backup to, is on-premise?

what are my options, regarding those situations?

Ehud.

Israel.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Ehud,

I'm sorry for the delay.  To answer your question, synchronizing files and databases from your local machine to a backup on Windows and SQL Azure are within the scope of what Sync Framework is designed to do.

Please look at our code samples for samples demonstrating synchronizing files and database from on-premises to Azure.  In particular, you might be interested in the "Synchronizing Files to Windows Azure Storage" sample and the "Windows Azure Sync Service" sample , which demonstrates a Windows Azure hosted service for sync'ing local databases to SQL Azure.

Additionally, the Sync team at Microsoft is also working on the Data Sync Service, which is now in CTP2. This will enable an end-to-end user synchronization experience of local, on premises SQL databases to SQL Azure and between SQL Azure databases.

Thanks for your interest in Sync Framework technologies. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Minh.

Saturday, February 5, 2011 2:16 AM