Trying to create a new project within the sandbox RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to create a project within the sandbox but am having problems doing this, has anyone experienced the same problems or know why it is happening.

When i tried to create a new team project within VS 2005, I was firstly asked to give the details of the team project server I wished to connect to, as in the tutorial I selected to connect to the server at: tfs.networkmashups.com at port 8080 using http. I then entered my username and password as specified.

Following the instructions I chose a name and selected MSF for Agile Software Development 4.0 as the default template. Finally I chose to create an empty source control folder and hit finish. The installation proceeded for a while and then failed saying:

unable to connect to the Windows SharePoint Services at http://tfs.networkmashups.com:8080
    Exception Details: The Project Creation Wizard was not able to connect to the Windows SharePoint Services
    at http://tfs.networkmashups.com:8080. The reason for the failed connection cannot be determined at this time.

I will give the full error below and part of the log above this in case it helps.

I tried this a second time and got the same error, has anyone any ideas why this could be happening?

John

2007-03-27 12:02:47Z | Module: Engine | Task "VersionControlTask" from Group "VersionControl" completed with success | Completion time: 2.078125 seconds
    2007-03-27 12:02:47Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 8 | Running Task "" from Group ""
    2007-03-27 12:02:47Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 7 | Running Task "SharePointPortal" from Group "Portal"
    2007-03-27 12:02:47Z | Module: WSS | Thread: 7 | Language id: 1033
    ---begin Exception entry---
    Time: 2007-03-27 12:03:08Z
    Module: Engine
    Event Description: TF30162: Task "SharePointPortal" from Group "Portal" failed
    Exception Type: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.PcwException
    Exception Message: Unable to connect to the Windows SharePoint Services at http://tfs.networkmashups.com:8080
    Exception Details: The Project Creation Wizard was not able to connect to the Windows SharePoint Services
    at http://tfs.networkmashups.com:8080. The reason for the failed connection cannot be determined at this time.
    Because the connection failed, the wizard was not able to complete creating
    the Windows SharePoint Services site.
    Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.WssSiteCreator.Execute(ProjectCreationContext context, XmlNode taskXml)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.ProjectCreationEngine.TaskExecutor.PerformTask(IProjectComponentCreator componentCreator, ProjectCreationContext context, XmlNode taskXml)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.ProjectCreationEngine.RunTask(Object taskObj)
    --   Inner Exception   --
    Exception Type: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.PcwException
    Exception Message: Unable to connect to the Windows SharePoint Services at http://tfs.networkmashups.com:8080
    Because the connection failed, the wizard was not able to complete creating
    the Windows SharePoint Services site.
    Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.WssSiteCreator.VerifyLcidOnServer(ProjectCreationContext ctxt, Int32 lcid)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.WssSiteCreator.ValidateSite(ProjectCreationContext context, XmlNode site)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.WssSiteCreator.Validate(ProjectCreationContext context, XmlNode taskXml)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.WssSiteCreator.Execute(ProjectCreationContext context, XmlNode taskXml)
    -- end Inner Exception --
    Exception Type: System.Net.WebException
    Exception Message: Unable to connect to the remote server
    WebException: Status : ConnectFailure
    Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Proxy.Portal.Admin.GetLanguages()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.WssSiteCreator.VerifyLcidOnServer(ProjectCreationContext ctxt, Int32 lcid)
    Exception Type: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
    Exception Message: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
    Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP)
       at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
    --- end Exception entry ---

2007-03-27 12:03:08Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 7 | TF30202: Task "" from Group "" will not be run because a prior task failed.
    2007-03-27 12:03:08Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 7 | TF30202: Task "Site" from Group "Reporting" will not be run because a prior task failed.
    2007-03-27 12:03:08Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 7 | TF30202: Task "Populate Reports" from Group "Reporting" will not be run because a prior task failed.
    2007-03-27 12:03:08Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 7 | TF30202: Task "" from Group "" will not be run because a prior task failed.
    2007-03-27 12:03:08Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 5 | Attempting to delete MSF folder "C:\Documents and Settings\Jodonnel\Local Settings\Temp\TPW_tmp141B.tmp"
    2007-03-27 12:03:09Z | Module: Engine | Thread: 5 | The temporary folder C:\Documents and Settings\Jodonnel\Local Settings\Temp\TPW_tmp141B.tmp used to store the process template was removed.
    2007-03-27 12:03:30Z | Module: Wizard | Thread: 5 | The project IONAArtixWES was deleted successfully.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:10 PM

Answers

• here we go..

Here are the firewall settings :

1.  Destination IP for TFS:  72.32.117.67 Service Ports: 80

2.  Destination IP for TFSBuild: 72.32.117.68 Service Ports: 8080

3.  Destination IP for SharePoint Services: 72.32.117.76, 72.32.117.77 Service Ports: 17012    

4.  Destination IP for SQL Server: 72.32.117.84 Service Ports: 80

Thanks,

B.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:35 PM

All replies

• Hello

I have seen many people facing this problem (mostly on company's network). This is due to some firewall settings. I don't have the exact solution right now, but hope this would help you. Creating a tfs project involves different steps like creating source control for the project, creating sharepoint portal for the project, reporting services, etc. The whole procedure makes the client to talk with these machines -

Tfs - 72.32.117.67

Tfs-build - 72.32.117.68

SharePoint - 72.32.117.76

Sql-Server - 72.32.117.84

I would suggest you to configure your network firewall settings and open up channels for these IPs. I would post the exact firewall settings that needs to be put very soon.

Thanks,

B.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:00 AM
  • Hi,

cheers, that explains things, I'll wait till you post the exact firewall settings needed and then get our IS dept to configure the firewall accordingly.

Thanks again,

John

Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:26 AM
  • here we go..

Here are the firewall settings :

1.  Destination IP for TFS:  72.32.117.67 Service Ports: 80

2.  Destination IP for TFSBuild: 72.32.117.68 Service Ports: 8080

3.  Destination IP for SharePoint Services: 72.32.117.76, 72.32.117.77 Service Ports: 17012    

4.  Destination IP for SQL Server: 72.32.117.84 Service Ports: 80

Thanks,

B.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:35 PM