none
Registry repair

Question

• I have a hard drive that got corrupted when I uninstalled Vista Sp1 (not my fault) and won't boot to Safe Mode or Windows. Ran the repair disk on it and it says it's recovered. However, now I get the "Can't find autochk, skipping autocheck" during the startup and it just reboots. I installed a new hard drive along with Vista up through SP2 and that's working fine.

If I start Vista and plug in the old drive (it's called K:, I can see the C: drive on the K: drive but not my other partitions on the corrupt hard drive (that's the real problem). To get rid of the autocheck problem, one has to edit the registry.

The questions are-which file on the K: drive is the registry and how do you open it without opening the registry on the working operating system? I see a file called reg in the system 32 files but if I right click on it and select open, it doesn't open. I don't have the "open with" option for that file, so I can't use regedit. Any help?
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 7:51 PM

Answers

• "jenardo" wrote in message news:efa83494-7e66-4796-84af-384880486fb7...
    I have a hard drive that got corrupted when I uninstalled Vista Sp1 (not my fault) and won't boot to Safe Mode or Windows. Ran the repair disk on it and it says it's recovered. However, now I get the "Can't find autochk, skipping autocheck" during the startup and it just reboots. I installed a new hard drive along with Vista up through SP2 and that's working fine.

If I start Vista and plug in the old drive (it's called K:, I can see the C: drive on the K: drive but not my other partitions on the corrupt hard drive (that's the real problem). To get rid of the autocheck problem, one has to edit the registry.

The questions are-which file on the K: drive is the registry and how do you open it without opening the registry on the working operating system? I see a file called reg in the system 32 files but if I right click on it and select open, it doesn't open. I don't have the "open with" option for that file, so I can't use regedit. Any help?

Please repost your query in a more appropriate forum – I would suggest the Vista Install Answers forum here.....

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, December 8, 2011 11:07 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:08 PM

All replies

• "jenardo" wrote in message news:efa83494-7e66-4796-84af-384880486fb7...
    I have a hard drive that got corrupted when I uninstalled Vista Sp1 (not my fault) and won't boot to Safe Mode or Windows. Ran the repair disk on it and it says it's recovered. However, now I get the "Can't find autochk, skipping autocheck" during the startup and it just reboots. I installed a new hard drive along with Vista up through SP2 and that's working fine.

Please repost your query in a more appropriate forum – I would suggest the Vista Install Answers forum here.....

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, December 8, 2011 11:07 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:08 PM
  • In Regedit's Help choose Load or Unload Registry Hives.

The files are in Windows\System32\Config and are called
    Software, System, SAM, Security, Default

The user part of the registry are in the root of their user's profile folder
    and are called NTUser.dat.

--
    --
    "jenardo" wrote in message news:efa83494-7e66-4796-84af-384880486fb7...
    >I have a hard drive that got corrupted when I uninstalled Vista Sp1 (not my
    >fault) and won't boot to Safe Mode or Windows. Ran the repair disk on it
    >and it says it's recovered. However, now I get the "Can't find autochk,
    >skipping autocheck" during the startup and it just reboots. I installed a
    >new hard drive along with Vista up through SP2 and that's working fine.
    >
    > If I start Vista and plug in the old drive (it's called K:, I can see the
    > C: drive on the K: drive but not my other partitions on the corrupt hard
    > drive (that's the real problem). To get rid of the autocheck problem, one
    > has to edit the registry.
    >
    > The questions are-which file on the K: drive is the registry and how do
    > you open it without opening the registry on the working operating system?
    > I see a file called reg in the system 32 files but if I right click on it
    > and select open, it doesn't open. I don't have the "open with" option for
    > that file, so I can't use regedit. Any help?
    >

Friday, December 9, 2011 8:08 AM
  • PS: Reg is a program that edits the registry in a command prompt. Just a
    command prompt version of regedit.

--
    --
    "DavidMCandy" wrote in message news:6efa98be-0ad6-4f1c-a85d-a228a5ce99ec...
    > In Regedit's Help choose Load or Unload Registry Hives.
    >
    > The files are in Windows\System32\Config and are called
    > Software, System, SAM, Security, Default
    >
    > The user part of the registry are in the root of their user's profile
    > folder
    > and are called NTUser.dat.
    >
    > --
    > ..
    > --
    > "jenardo" wrote in message news:efa83494-7e66-4796-84af-384880486fb7...
    >>I have a hard drive that got corrupted when I uninstalled Vista Sp1 (not
    >>my
    >>fault) and won't boot to Safe Mode or Windows. Ran the repair disk on it
    >>and it says it's recovered. However, now I get the "Can't find autochk,
    >>skipping autocheck" during the startup and it just reboots. I installed a
    >>new hard drive along with Vista up through SP2 and that's working fine.
    >>
    >> If I start Vista and plug in the old drive (it's called K:, I can see the
    >> C: drive on the K: drive but not my other partitions on the corrupt hard
    >> drive (that's the real problem). To get rid of the autocheck problem, one
    >> has to edit the registry.
    >>
    >> The questions are-which file on the K: drive is the registry and how do
    >> you open it without opening the registry on the working operating system?
    >> I see a file called reg in the system 32 files but if I right click on it
    >> and select open, it doesn't open. I don't have the "open with" option for
    >> that file, so I can't use regedit. Any help?
    >>
    >
    >

Saturday, December 10, 2011 6:56 AM
  • Thanks. I posted in the Windows Vista Forum general discussion at Vistax64.com. The problem has been resolved.

Friday, December 23, 2011 5:48 PM