HP Vista to Windows 7 upgrade discs RRS feed

• Question

• Here's my situation, I purchased an HP Vista-based computer and qualified for a free Win7 upgrade.  I received the HP Win7 upgrade discs.  For fun, I first tried to install Win7 on my non-HP computer.  It worked!  I was hoping to be able to then install win7 on my HP computer in which the upgrade discs were originally intended...didn't work.  I have since purchased a retail copy of Win7 home premium and was wondering if I could use that product key on the computer I had installed Win7 on in the first place; turn around and use the HP Upgrade product key ON the HP computer and all will be fine? 

To clarify, if I change the product key on one computer, will I be able to re-use the old key on another computer?  (both are genuine Windows products).

Thank you.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:34 AM

Answers

• Hello AMD PHX,

Yes, Upgrades are usually Retail Licensed.  The Licensing Termes for Retail allows you to move the software to another computer.  So, take the Win7 Upgrade, and upgrade the HP computer.  Then take the full version Win 7 and install on the Non-HP computer.

Note: you may get an error when attempting to Activate over the Internet on the HP computer (the error may be "this key is already in use" or something similare). The error is just a reminder that this Windows was installed on onther computer and that you can't have it installed on more then one computer at a time.  But since you deleted the other copy of that Windows (by installing the full version Win7 over the tope of it) you can ignore that error.  However, at that point, you would need to Activate by Phone instead. 

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS 

p.s.  To upgrade properly, you must start the Upgrade Install from within the older Windows that is being upgraded.  If you  install by booting to the DVD instead, the resulting install will be a Full install and the Upgrade key will not work.  I only bring this up because allot of people have had problems and mistakenly do the Full install process instead of the Upgrade and then thier key doesn't work and they can't figure out why.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:02 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:01 PM