single server install limitations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am wanting to setup a development Project 2010 server and would like to do this as a single server installation. One of the requirements of the development server is to provide cube building but I have read that single server models do not provide this functionality, is this correct? Is there a way to do a single server install without using Full SQL server $$$ ?

thx,

L

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:02 PM

Answers

• Lanman:

For dev and test purposes, you can setup a fully functional system on one server. The key is to install SQL Server, then install SharePoint as a farm installation. You cannont do this without a full SQL license, however for dev purposes, you can use SQL Server from your MSDN subscription. What? You don't have an MSDN subscription? This is one of the most valuable resources available from Microsoft. Get one right away.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:06 PM

All replies

• Lanman:

For dev and test purposes, you can setup a fully functional system on one server. The key is to install SQL Server, then install SharePoint as a farm installation. You cannont do this without a full SQL license, however for dev purposes, you can use SQL Server from your MSDN subscription. What? You don't have an MSDN subscription? This is one of the most valuable resources available from Microsoft. Get one right away.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

My company does have an MSDN subscription. I wll check with our licensing guy for the install file(s).

Is there a good link to this install procedure?

thx,

L

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:11 PM
  • You can find installation instructions on TechNet, or you might consider my book, (shameless plug) it should save you hundreds of hours, especially if this is your first foray into Project Server.

http://projectserverbooks.com/books/implementingadministeringprojectserver2010.aspx

Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:14 PM
  • I had previously setup a project 2007 server but have not done it since...

The book looks very well prepared, thanks for the link.  I will see if my company will purchase it.

Thanks again for the information.

Have a good day,

L

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:27 PM
  • Hi,

What versions of SharePoint and SQL are required for the all in one install..? (Enterprise, Standard etc..)

They are all required to be 64 bit, correct?

thx,

L

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:26 PM