difference between online validation and installing WGA RRS feed

• Question

•  

If I go to www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyValidate.aspx and click on the validate now button I get a sucessful validation.

My automatic updates is prompting me to install Windows Genuine Advantage Notification kb905474.

What is the difference in purpose of the website validation and having the downloaded version on my computer?

(I have read the faq's on the validation site and searched the knowledge base)

My system is used mainly as a pvr and is pushing the limits of it's hardware and software and I don't want even more stuff running in the background.  I'm also concerned because I have swapable hard drives on mobile racks that I change and don't want to muck around with with wga issues everytime my hardware config changes.

Is it necessary to install this wga or is the website validation good enough?

thanks,

Saturday, August 5, 2006 7:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program FAQ: http://www.microsoft.co.ke/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx
    Saturday, August 5, 2006 7:44 PM
  •  

I have read this already.

including

WGA Validation determines whether the copy of Windows XP installed on a PC is genuine and licensed. WGA Validation was launched worldwide in July 2005. It is required for any download on Windows Update, Microsoft Update and the Download Center.

WGA Notifications is software that is distributed through Automatic Updates that reminds users who fail validation that they are not running genuine Windows and directs them to resources to learn more about the benefits of using genuine Windows software. WGA Notifications is currently not required to use Automatic Updates.

I have validated online and get the response "Validate Complete"  Thank you for using the Windows Genuine Advantage program.  You may now access resources for Genuine   Windows users.

So to repeat my question why download and INSTALL the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification  (as part of my updates) when it is already validated?  What is this downloaded validation going to do for me that the online validation doesn't?  The above explanation (from the site) and the response from online validation  suggests that I have access to resources for genuine windows users.

Does having the wga notification downloaded and installed on my system permit me to access ALL updates via automatic updates and the online validation only allows critical updates?

what am I missing here?

thanks,
    Saturday, August 5, 2006 9:59 PM