Changing motherboard on existing home server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

A few months ago I set up a Home Server on an older unused desktop PC. This one was put together with a Chaintech motherboard and AMD processor; the motherboard dates to the early days of SATA getting established - limited-speed interface, and so on. I put two new SATA terabyte drives in there (ditched to old drives) and installed WHS. Had some troubles getting the whole thing to boot with those two drives in there, in fact on those unhappy days when there is an automatic reboot due to an update, I sometimes have boot troubles.

But what a great system! Everybody backed-up, and all kinds of files stored on the server.

Now the PC seems to have crashed, can't get it to boot. Before I mess with it further, I am thinking of just popping the pair of drives into a new PC - or at least getting a modern motherboard and processor for this one.

What are the chances of getting my server up-and-running with all of my data intact if replace pretty much everything but the hard drives? Any advice? Hate to lose everything.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

- DP

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:17 PM

All replies

• I'm about to do this, too.

I have my SATA drives on the old board attached to a PCI expansion card and the operating system is on an IDE drive.
    I am moving them all to another board that has SATA ports built-in and don't know if the back-up data will be recognized or not.

So my question is the same: Can I rebuild my server on a new platform while maintaining my back-up drives?
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Try booting. If it bluescreens (and it almost certainly will) you make sure that the system drive is the first one the BIOS will present for booting, and perform a server reinstallation. You'll probably have to supply drivers during the installation process. If you need drivers for your system drive to be visible during the hardware detection phase, then you'll need those drivers on a floppy, and you will have to provide them a second time, at the "Press F6" prompt that you'll see just after the reboot into text mode setup.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Your question is a bit different. Buy a third drive, and make sure that third drive will be the system drive as above. Perform a server reinstallation with all three drives connected and powered up. Windows Home Server should reintegrate the additional two drives into the storage pool with all data intact.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:40 PM
  • I had a motherboard failure of my athlon xp based first WHS iteration and after installing the same hdd's in the same controller order, the server reinstall worked great and I didnt lose any data. Motherboard I use now is great and has 8 sata ports onboard!
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:38 PM
  • I will be using the IDE drive for my OS, same as with my current motherboard.

I think I will just try what PP suggests, using the same controller order. I have two new drives for data, so I will put the PCI card in the new machine and add the new sata drives onto the motherboard after the existing is recognized. Then I will remove the PCI SATA drives once the new drives have the data copied over.

Hopefully, this will work. I really can't afford to lose my backups.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:51 AM