none
WHS Massive drive failures - System Cannot access files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

This will sound all to familier to many readers.  I have windows home server evaluation on my system.  Or did have....  Unfortunatly through electrical failure (thanks in part to a faulty UPS and surge protect) I have only one drive left.  This drive contains c: and d: drives of my system, 2 partitions.  The problem I face is two fold.  Firstly, to try and recover what data I had left, I have place the drive into my Vista PC, taken ownership and gone on search for the elusive de\shares folder.  Lucky for me I have found it and also found all of my files in the d:\shares folder.  The problem here is that there is no files in the de\shares folder, but the d:\shares folder is full, about 60gb. (mainly wedding pohotos etc).  All of my research and investigation all point to that de\shares folder being the answer....  well what do I do when it is not there?  The obvious solution would be to re install the drive into the server and reboot, given the partition c: still contains the WHS installation......  but that would be to easy.  It has expired, and after the issues I had with it (don't get me wrong it is spectacular as far as home server goes, but I need more functionality and business use) I have purchased windows server 2003 and don't intend on buying whs.  Of course I will if my life depends on it....

So my questions are this.  I can see my data (cant open any of it, get messages with photos, cannot open file, incorrect format or do you need to upgrade) in the d:\shares folder and the sizes match what is in the drive, but is it really there?  And will I ever get it back or is it gone for ever? These are some pretty important photos and files.  Most of them are photos of my wedding and family, before my wife broke her neck and landed in a wheelchair for life and my daughter got third degree burns to 80% of her body, so you can see why I will try anything to get them back....

Please Help Me!!!!!!

Malcolm Richardson

richardson.malcolm@gmail.com

Monday, April 5, 2010 4:27 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

This will sound all to familier to many readers.  I have windows home server evaluation on my system.  Or did have....  Unfortunatly through electrical failure (thanks in part to a faulty UPS and surge protect) I have only one drive left.  This drive contains c: and d: drives of my system, 2 partitions.  The problem I face is two fold.  Firstly, to try and recover what data I had left, I have place the drive into my Vista PC, taken ownership and gone on search for the elusive de\shares folder.  Lucky for me I have found it and also found all of my files in the d:\shares folder.  The problem here is that there is no files in the de\shares folder, but the d:\shares folder is full, about 60gb. (mainly wedding pohotos etc).  All of my research and investigation all point to that de\shares folder being the answer....  well what do I do when it is not there?  The obvious solution would be to re install the drive into the server and reboot, given the partition c: still contains the WHS installation......  but that would be to easy.  It has expired, and after the issues I had with it (don't get me wrong it is spectacular as far as home server goes, but I need more functionality and business use) I have purchased windows server 2003 and don't intend on buying whs.  Of course I will if my life depends on it....

So my questions are this.  I can see my data (cant open any of it, get messages with photos, cannot open file, incorrect format or do you need to upgrade) in the d:\shares folder and the sizes match what is in the drive, but is it really there?  And will I ever get it back or is it gone for ever? These are some pretty important photos and files.  Most of them are photos of my wedding and family, before my wife broke her neck and landed in a wheelchair for life and my daughter got third degree burns to 80% of her body, so you can see why I will try anything to get them back....

Please Help Me!!!!!!

Malcolm Richardson

richardson.malcolm@gmail.com

See my response to your post in the Hardware section.
    Monday, April 5, 2010 5:45 AM