none
Accessing Technet via NNTP client RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any documentation on setting up a nntp client to view/post to the technet forums ?  I have been looking for this info and cant find it in the FAQ's or anywhere else.  Will be accessing this from an iPad/iPhone.
    • Moved by Crystal Wan Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:28 AM off topic (From:Forums Issues (not product support))
    • Moved by Crystal Wan Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:39 AM move back (From:Off-Topic Posts (Do Not Post Here))
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:50 PM

Answers

• Currently the forums do not work with ipads.

Right. After some digging, the team found that the platform vendors don't support iPad/iPhone, and they're working on a solution for that.
    Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Friday, January 6, 2012 7:28 PM
    Owner

All replies

• These ones may help.

http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/content/content.aspx?ContentID=13820

http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:27 AM
  • Hmmm how could this be off topic?

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    • Proposed as answer by kamalicon Sunday, January 1, 2012 3:50 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Sunday, January 8, 2012 3:12 AM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:31 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your posting.

As your post is off-topic with forums issue, I moved your post to this off-topic forum here.

For your question, please refer to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/help.

What is the "Use NNTP Bridge" option in My Settings?
    The NNTP Bridge Client application allows a user to configure their NNTP Reader to read and post to the forums. Users can install the client bridge at the Online Forums Connection. To use the bridge users must first select "Use NNTP Bridge" in the My Settings page. Note: at this time, there are no plans to localize the support documentation for the tool but the tool should work any locale forum. Users can visit the Online Forums Connection for more information, bug status and to report issues or suggestions.

Hoping this helps.

Thanks

Crystal Wan

Customer Support

EPX Service Engineering Support Team

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Sorry but I don't see how a question on forums connection is off topic with forums issue.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:19 AM
  • Hi Dave

Thanks for your reminder.

I have re-checked the post here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/c7282866-6dea-472f-98e5-c68c8680d3a3

And I thought it is a question and not a bug reporting or suggestion on the forum software, so I moved the post to Off-topic.

Now I understand it is helpful for people to find NNTP related materials so I'll move the post back.

Thanks

Crystal Wan

Customer Support

EPX Service Engineering Support Team

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:30 AM
  • Crystal, thank you.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:21 AM
  • Thanks for the info about NNTP Bridge.  Unfortunately that is not an option for me since it only runs only Windows and I am using an iPad. 

Let me rephrase my original question - Are there any instructions that have been posted anywhere about connecting an iPad to the Technet forums ?  Since MS only writes apps to work with IE, that means I will have compability problems such as those I have already read about.  There are a host of NNTP apps for the iPad, so all I really need is the server name, etc that I need to configure my NNTP app on the iPad to point to the NNTP host at MS.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:47 PM
  • found this after my last posting -

" Upon the initial release, there will be no integration with an NNTP reader. We deeply appreciate all contributions that have been made via the bridge in the past, and hope that you will continue to participate in Microsoft Answers through the website as we evaluate future integration with offline readers."

It is unforunate that MS decided on this stance.  Based on previous experience with MS, I dont anticipate NNTP Client functionality, if ever, for a long time.

Most of the other forums I frequent have some type of offline reader functionality.  I would welcome a phone call from the MS Product Manager for the forums to explain why they wont support a well known internet standard such as NNTP.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:02 PM
  • If you want to use NNTP with the Answers forum, you are indeed currently out of luck. But you asked about Technet forums and these are indeed accessible through NNTP. Or more exactly, they have a web service to which an NNTP server could connect. The NNTP bridge is such a solution.

But as you noted, it runs on Windows only, so you would need to port it to the iPad. I can't say how much work that would be, but the story of the NNTP bridges is that first Microsoft was working with an NNTP bridge for a long time, but what they achieved was not very stable or usable. Then Jochen Kalmbach in a fairly short time wrote his own NNTP bridge, which I guess is the one that everyone uses today.

So at least, it is a piece of work that can be achieved by someone outside Microsoft.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:16 PM

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:21 PM
  • Honey, take a number.

(sorry for the sarcasm but it's a dead horse issue for many a mvp)

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:22 PM
  • For years microsoft hosted an NNTP server farm but recently moved to web forums. You might ask here but don't hold much hope for ipad support.

http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/discussions

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:56 AM
  • > If you want to use NNTP with the Answers forum, you are indeed currently out of luck.

Hopefully next month we will also have a NNTP bridge for Answers...

Jochen Kalmbach (MVP VC++)

Not looking for answers nntp, but here in the technet forums.

At this point, this thread can be closed.  From past experience, I dont expect that nntp support for non windows devices will ever happen.

• Edited by kcnetworkguy Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:50 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:49 PM
  • At this point, this thread can be closed.  From past experience, I dont expect that nntp support for non windows devices will ever happen.

I would say that it depends on how high the demand is. And the skillset among the people who want it. It's definitely a viable option for an open-source alternative, but there must be someone with the time and the skills to do it.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:32 PM

Right. After some digging, the team found that the platform vendors don't support iPad/iPhone, and they're working on a solution for that.
    Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Friday, January 6, 2012 7:28 PM
    Owner

Ed:

Thanks for your reply.  When they are ready for some outside testing, please have them get in contact with me.  I would be happy to help.

Ron

Friday, January 6, 2012 9:32 PM