Windows Mobile Sync Tracing issue - cannot get SyncTracer to work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

After quite a few days of working on my Windows Mobile application that uses Sync Services I’m still running into issues.  The corresponding PC app downloads the initial data pretty quickly and processes updates very quickly so I know that the WCF server side is working just fine. It’s the WM app that seems to have strange speed issues. 

I’m trying to do two things to resolve the issue:

1)      Get the SyncTracer working, I am having great problems with this.  I follow the instructions and have put the trace.config.txt file into the application folder with the correct content in it (shown at bottom of this post).  I’ve mucked around with the path to the output file and tried changing the trace.config.txt to trace.config.  No luck on any of it.  Do I have to do anything to the app itself to enable this?  I’ve watched the various SyncTracer flags and they all report false.

2)      Using my own tracing I’ve output data from the SessionProgress event (I also use it for showing a progress bar).  Shown at the end is some of the output.  Is the duration between the various stages normal?  Interestingly secondary syncs are about 2 times the speed of the initial sync even though on the secondary syncs I reconnect to the WCF service again.  The sync is setup with 3 bidirectional tables (ALL will be empty on the way down to the PDA) and a further 16 download only tables (660 records across all of the tables), they are all in a single group in the example shown.  Total filled DB size is 448K.

I am using the emulator for testing and to get the speed data shown I have stopped all unnecessary programs and made sure that the emulator had front stage while it was running.  Generally the first sync (on a prefilled database) is approx 60 seconds and subsequent syncs are approx 30 seconds. 

I have the following questions:

1)      Can anyone point me in the right direction re the SyncTracer issue?

2)      Given the number of tables do the times for syncing look about right given that this is a Windows Mobile app?  Without any benchmark figures for this it’s very hard to know if my app is working slowly or normally!

Best Regards,

Jon

Content of trace.config.txt file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<configuration>

<traceSettings>

<add key="FileLocation" value="TraceOutputSync.txt" />

<add key="LogLevel" value="4" />

</traceSettings>

</configuration>

Sample content of my trace output file

** Tracing Level Settings **

Error: False

Warning: False

Info: False

Verbose: False

14:07:38 Sync started

14:07:43 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: ReadingMetadata  1% completed

14:07:51 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: DownloadingChanges  55% completed

14:08:38 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: DownloadingChanges  91% completed – I ASSUME THAT THIS IS THE FINISH OF THE GROUP PROCESS

14:08:39 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: WritingMetadata  100% completed

14:08:39 Sync finished

Sync took 61 seconds

Changes Downloaded: 0

Changes Uploaded: 0

14:08:49 Sync started

14:08:49 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: ReadingMetadata  1% completed

14:08:58 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: DownloadingChanges  55% completed

14:09:26 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: DownloadingChanges  91% completed – I ASSUME THAT THIS IS THE FINISH OF THE GROUP PROCESS

14:09:26 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: WritingMetadata  100% completed

14:09:26 Sync finished

Sync took 37 seconds

14:09:31 Sync started

14:09:31 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: ReadingMetadata  1% completed

14:09:37 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: DownloadingChanges  55% completed

14:10:04 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: DownloadingChanges  91% completed – I ASSUME THAT THIS IS THE FINISH OF THE GROUP PROCESS

14:10:04 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: WritingMetadata  100% completed

14:10:04 Sync finished

Sync took 33 seconds

14:10:09 Sync started

14:10:09 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: ReadingMetadata  1% completed

14:10:19 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: DownloadingChanges  55% completed

14:10:41 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: DownloadingChanges  91% completed – I ASSUME THAT THIS IS THE FINISH OF THE GROUP PROCESS

14:10:41 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: WritingMetadata  100% completed

14:10:41 Sync finished

Sync took 32 seconds

14:10:52 Sync started

14:10:52 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: ReadingMetadata  1% completed

14:11:02 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: DownloadingChanges  55% completed

14:11:29 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: DownloadingChanges  91% completed – I ASSUME THAT THIS IS THE FINISH OF THE GROUP PROCESS

14:11:29 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: WritingMetadata  100% completed

14:11:29 Sync finished

Sync took 37 seconds

14:11:32 Sync started

14:11:32 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: ReadingMetadata  1% completed

14:11:38 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: DownloadingChanges  55% completed

14:12:04 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: DownloadingChanges  91% completed – I ASSUME THAT THIS IS THE FINISH OF THE GROUP PROCESS

14:12:04 SessionProgress triggered. Stage: WritingMetadata  100% completed

14:12:04 Sync finished

Sync took 32 seconds

Thursday, September 2, 2010 1:48 PM

All replies

• There is a support document what may address your issue.  Please see, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973058/en-us.  

Would you mind trying to download the refreshed bits from http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=973058&kbln=en-us and hopefully it helps this issue.

Thanks.

Leo Zhou ------ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, September 3, 2010 12:26 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Leo,

Thanks for that - I'd already got this installed thanks to a pointer from JuneT.  It appears that it is all installed correctly but I'm triple checking it all now.

In the meantime do you have any ideas on the SyncTracer issue that I am having.  Getting that going would increase my confidence in what is going on and help me determine where the bottlenecks lay.

Regards,

Jon

Friday, September 3, 2010 8:15 AM