Search Results Different Every Day? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been ranking number one for my main keywords, one in particular, for almost 2 years.  I work on my site constantly to keep it tops in the results.  The work that I do has allowed these words to rank in the top position in Google, Yahoo, MSN, and Ask.  However, for the past several weeks in MSN it seems like the main keyword's SERPS keep changing...on a daily basis.  I find it hard to believe that the sites that are ranking above me have been making the right moves to overcome the top position, when yesterday it was different.  How is it that the results are changing on a daily basis and fluctuating so frequently?  It just doesn't seem right at all. 
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:32 PM

Answers

• Each time we update the index, previous relevance rankings are revised. Therefore, you may notice a shift in your website’s ranking as new sites are added and others become obsolete.

Although you can't directly change your website’s ranking, you can optimize its design and technical implementation to enable appropriate ranking by most search engines. For information about improving your website's ranking, see Guidelines for successful indexing.   Most website owners can see some improvements by doing basic white hat SEO. I recommend ensuring that:

1. You have great content. 
    2. Get your content noticed

Ensure that you are not doing any of the following:

• Attempting to increase a page's keyword density by add lots of irrelevant words. This includes stuffing ALT tags that users are unlikely to view.
    • Using hidden text or links. Only use text and links that are visible to users.
    • Using techniques, such as link farms, to artificially increase the number of links to your page.

Often when sites are having problems it is related to something above, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:47 PM

All replies

• with all due respect...

seems like they are doing something right unless you think the MSNBot has it out for you...

Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:34 PM
  • I just really do not think so and I only say that because of the sites that were ranking higher.  Starting Friday and through today, my site regained its number one position and was number 2 also.  I just put the post out there to see if anyone else was experiencing different results.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 9:23 PM
  • Search results should be different all the time, that's one of the many ways search engines determine relevancy.  Say there are 300 relevant results returned for a given set of keywords, most searchers only see the first 10.  If the 10 results never change, there is no way of knowing how relevant the other 290 results are.  There are times when this happens more frequently than others, Google (or any other SE worth it's salt) does the same thing, but tends to be a little less noticable since they do it over a longer period of time.
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:58 PM
  • Something was definitely flaky yesterday. After 10 years deailing with just one site I don't check all that often anymore, but periodically I look at one "generic" search that I consider an indicator. I've held number one on that one for as long as a year at a time, but as my larger competitors have gotten savvy they've slowly pushed me down. Last week I was number 8, and I have seen 9. Yesterday I was nowhere to be found. At least not in the top 100. Today I'm back to number 8.

Hey, it's just computers! Stuff happens...

Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:41 AM
  • I really feel like MSNs algo is set up for almost constant change. Theirs is totally different than google. My google results are very steady plus or minus 10 either way unless I make major changes to content. MSN will go from 5 to 60 back to 6 again in a matter of a week. I think theirs is set up to place new sites in the top 10 to test click thru and then they shuffle them up. I have given up trying to foll with SERP on MSN and focus on google. You have more control there.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 1:19 AM
  • Each time we update the index, previous relevance rankings are revised. Therefore, you may notice a shift in your website’s ranking as new sites are added and others become obsolete.

Although you can't directly change your website’s ranking, you can optimize its design and technical implementation to enable appropriate ranking by most search engines. For information about improving your website's ranking, see Guidelines for successful indexing.   Most website owners can see some improvements by doing basic white hat SEO. I recommend ensuring that:

1. You have great content. 
    2. Get your content noticed

Ensure that you are not doing any of the following:

• Attempting to increase a page's keyword density by add lots of irrelevant words. This includes stuffing ALT tags that users are unlikely to view.
    • Using hidden text or links. Only use text and links that are visible to users.
    • Using techniques, such as link farms, to artificially increase the number of links to your page.

Often when sites are having problems it is related to something above, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:47 PM
  • I have a question related to the post above. I my analytics tool I am seeing referrer results for search phrases for which we are not ranking. And, if I look closely at the traffic by individual search phrase, I see it is associated with hundreds of URls. Any insights on what is going on here. I heard from one source that it has to do with MSN's QA process. Can anyone share any insight?

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:06 PM