CRM 4.0: Automatically adding record owners to Marketing List RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently using CRM 4.0 and want to know if it is possible to create a workflow that automatically adds the owners of the marketing list members to the marketing list so that they also receive a copy of what is being sent out to their contacts? Also, they should only be added once, even if they are the owner of multiple contacts in the marketing list.

I have tried to use the available workflow entities for Marketing Lists without any luck. Any assistance/direction would be greatly appreciated!

Monday, March 7, 2011 7:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Shayne, your requirement is quite a common one that I've heard from a few marketing managers. But there are a couple of challenges:

Unfortunately, there is no workflow action for adding a member to a marketing list; and this feature isn't part of CRM 2011 either. There are a couple of third-party tools that provide custom workflow actions for this (although remember that custom workflow activities are not suported in CRM Online). Here's one example: http://blogs.infinite-x.net/crm-add-ons/add-to-marketing-list. Or you might able to find an open source solution on Codeplex.

Marketing list members can be leads, accounts or contacts; not users. Presumably you have a contact and a lead record for each user in your CRM system and you want the user's corresponding lead or contact record to be a member of all lead or contact marketing lists? Another way to solve this piece is to set up an Exchange distribution list for all marketing/sales people and add a contact/lead with the distribution list's email address to the relevant marketing lists.

Hope this helps?

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by Shayne Oz Monday, March 7, 2011 11:10 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 9:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Shayne, your requirement is quite a common one that I've heard from a few marketing managers. But there are a couple of challenges:

Unfortunately, there is no workflow action for adding a member to a marketing list; and this feature isn't part of CRM 2011 either. There are a couple of third-party tools that provide custom workflow actions for this (although remember that custom workflow activities are not suported in CRM Online). Here's one example: http://blogs.infinite-x.net/crm-add-ons/add-to-marketing-list. Or you might able to find an open source solution on Codeplex.

Marketing list members can be leads, accounts or contacts; not users. Presumably you have a contact and a lead record for each user in your CRM system and you want the user's corresponding lead or contact record to be a member of all lead or contact marketing lists? Another way to solve this piece is to set up an Exchange distribution list for all marketing/sales people and add a contact/lead with the distribution list's email address to the relevant marketing lists.

Hope this helps?

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by Shayne Oz Monday, March 7, 2011 11:10 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Thanks Neil.. Much appreciated. I had an idea this would be the case, but it was worth asking. Thanks again!
    Shayne
    Monday, March 7, 2011 11:10 PM