blocked VLK ... now what? RRS feed

• Question

• I had my PC in to get it de-bugged a 2 years ago..the guy also put winxp on(I assume it was his own cause I did not buy one...now I get this annoying notice saying it is not 'geniune'. Do I have to purchase a genuine one now or is there anything other that I can do?? Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0): ----------------------------------------- WGA Data--> Validation Status: Blocked VLK Detailed Status: N/A Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BT7D4-P7RY7-27K76 Windows Product Key Hash: lfUxYru1nac+9gdOkxNElyDObfM= Windows Product ID: 55274-643-3689342-23996 Windows Product ID Type: 1 Windows License Type: Volume Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro ID: 089a6de9-0785-4494-af53-b6a334b45e6e Is Admin: Yes AutoDial: No Registry: 0x0 WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5 Signed By: Microsoft Product Name: N/A Architecture: N/A Build lab: N/A TTS Error: N/A Validation Diagnostic: Resolution Status: N/A Notifications Data--> Cached Result: 3 File Exists: Yes Version: 1.7.18.5 WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft OGA Data--> Office Status: 109 N/A OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002 Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002 Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_B4D0AA8B-530-645 Browser Data--> Proxy settings: N/A User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32) Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled Active scripting: Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed File Scan Data--> Other data--> Office Details: 089a6de9-0785-4494-af53-b6a334b45e6e1.7.0012.05.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro*****-*****-*****-*****-27K7655274-643-3689342-239961S-1-5-21-1390067357-1580818891-1060284298TriGem Computer Inc.NAPOLIAmerican Megatrends Inc.06310019991029000000.000000+00070293C3F0184004904090409Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)03 109
    Friday, April 20, 2007 7:22 PM

Answers

• Shecho,

Right now, your eMachines computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, VL editions of XP are Upgrade Licenses only and cannot be preoperly used as the original or base license on a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Luckily, the solution to your XP problem is simple but a little laborious.  Use the recovery solution supplied by eMachines to replace the nongenuine installation of XP Pro with the genuine original installation of Windows which was on your computer when you purchased it new.  The Certificate of Authenticity that should be affixed to the computer case will tell you which edition and/or version of Windows came preinstalled on your computer.  Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.

If you do not have the Recovery CD supplied by eMachines, you can order Recovery CDs for many eMachines models directly from eMachines for about $25 delivered.  If they cannot help you, try http://www.restoredisks.com or a Google search of sites that sell recovery discs.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 12:26 AM

All replies

•  ive got the same problem after buying my desktop from a computer fair in liverpool 4years ago. ive just got the internet now only to find mine win xp isnt  genuine. I cant find the disc it came with cos ive moved twice in the 4 years. please let me know if u find a way to resolve this issue it would be most appreciated. thanx

Friday, April 20, 2007 7:38 PM
  • Shecho,

Right now, your eMachines computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, VL editions of XP are Upgrade Licenses only and cannot be preoperly used as the original or base license on a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Luckily, the solution to your XP problem is simple but a little laborious.  Use the recovery solution supplied by eMachines to replace the nongenuine installation of XP Pro with the genuine original installation of Windows which was on your computer when you purchased it new.  The Certificate of Authenticity that should be affixed to the computer case will tell you which edition and/or version of Windows came preinstalled on your computer.  Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.

If you do not have the Recovery CD supplied by eMachines, you can order Recovery CDs for many eMachines models directly from eMachines for about $25 delivered.  If they cannot help you, try http://www.restoredisks.com or a Google search of sites that sell recovery discs.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 12:26 AM
  • Daveandkie,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, April 21, 2007 12:27 AM