Change pathways for eternal hard drive RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi !
    My concern is that I have damaged my windows XP home edition OS software by changing the "Pathway" of a USB connected Seagate hard drive which I use solely as a File back up  from " Exernal hard drive E" to "External hard drive H". It was a  Seagate tech. rep. Who  suggested that I give the USB connected hard drive a designated pathway other than the default one assigned by windows incase I wanted to get a second backup hard drive. So  he talked me through the process of changing the pathway of my existing USB connected (Seagate)Hard drive.

As I was making the change under his guidance .  I got a WARNING ! message from Windows that said that I was risking softeware damage   The Seagate rep said to ignore this then after clicking “continue"  I got a stronger WARNING ! message from Windows  " changing the pathway of this hardware can seriously damage your software”.  Again the Seagate rep said to ignore this. So we continued and changed the pathway of the Seagate hard drive from "E" to "H " that was a month ago and since then I  get error messages when trying to connect to the internet "server not found" when there is nothing wrong with may internet service (maybe one time out of ten) Often when I restart the computer and I can get right on line.( the signals on the Time Warner modem and Belkin Router and vontage devise are normal and a phone call to time Warner  confirms that there is no outage in my area.( I have Time Warner road runner light cable and use  fire fox both of which are working normally when I have the trouble)

Also since changing the pathway of the external hard drive occasionally I  have trouble booting and have  unplug and then replug all the power jacks in sequence once or twice before the  computer boots and works normally. I sometimes also now have trouble sending documents to the seagate hard drive from my PC and must hit “send to” 2-3 times before te file transfers. Also some times I noew get frozen screens and must restart the computor. Before changing the Pathway of  USB hard last month I had none of these problems.

I am careful to disconnect the seagate hard drive when I am not storing data on it only when the “ safe to remove hardware” window is on or once the computor is Shut down. I leave the Seagate hard drive plugged in I get the above problems more frequently but I still get the problems when it is not connected. I have had the Seagat hard drive for 6 months but only since changing its path way have I had any such trouble.

My OS is  windows XP  home edition 32bytes which I purcahsed (NOT OEM). I have an ECS motherboard equipped with the maximum memory that Windows XP can benefit from. I also want to know if I could have damage my memory of soft ware by coping multiple files to the sea gate hard drive all at once ( that is another thing I did the day I talked with the seagate rep under hi guidance) by holding down the control key and selecting all the documents the I want sent then sending say 50 documents to the seagate hard drive all at once. Could that have damaged my memory or windows XP ? Any way since that day my computor has exhibited sacry signs of crashing . I have done nothing to remedyit so far . I just keep hoping that it is a glitcjh and the system will recover on its own.

( note the reason The sea gate rep wanted to give the seagate harddrive a permanent designated pathway was because besides being a backup storeage device It also has the most secure fies thatdon’t want on my PC and there is no back up for tpose files so he suggested I get a second seagate hard drive and name one “H” and the other would be given a pathe way (name by windows) I never got the second hard drive because I am afraid it would finsh off my computer and so I have not back up for my high security files yet.

Thanks,

baqta

Saturday, October 16, 2010 2:26 AM

All replies

•  

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare

Your question may be better posed to one of the forums here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

No, you cannot damage your OS by changing the drive letter for a connected drive. The warning would occur to advise that any programs that depend on the original path would fail to function as the program would not know about the change.

The OS not booting with an attached USB drive is a known issue that affects XP in some cases. The solution is to disconnect or power off the drive when booting.

You cannot cause damage to hardware by copying files.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, October 18, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Thank you Steve I guess I just need a computor tune up can you tell me some of the things that I should specify for my local shop to do when they do the tune up?

Thanks,

baqta

Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Tune-up is a bit of a broad term. The best that i can advise is to have them just check over the PC make sure that there are no hardware problems. Once that's done, it might be worth backing up your data and formatting the PC, reinstalling Windows, reinstalling your programs, and then restoring your data. To advise anything else without knowing everything else about the PC would be premature.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:28 PM