Object tag alternative content RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question about the <object> tag.

I have some alternative content in place for a flash movie, but I'm wondering if MSNbot recognises this content which is in between the object tag?

This is a condensed version of what's there:

Code Block

<object>

Text that is in the movie with a link
    </object>

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 3:59 PM

Answers

• Tim.

Million dollar question right there.   Search engines have a really hard time with Flash.  The alternative content you are looking to use to compensate for the limitations with flash has been abused and while it may be read, it may not make an impact of for your site.  I was doing some research on the subject today and there are lots of good resources you can find on the topic. I recommend that you look into how other sites are working with flash.  I think I will probably have a technical article on the blog soon.   I have been thinking about Flash, Silverlight and even AJAX and how you can design for search success; I will follow-up when I have something for you. Also feel free to post any good resources you find on the subject here.

Jeremiah

Friday, January 4, 2008 12:05 AM

All replies

• Can anyone confirm that MSNbot is able to read the alternative content provided in between the object tags?
    Friday, December 28, 2007 12:46 PM
  • Tim.

Million dollar question right there.   Search engines have a really hard time with Flash.  The alternative content you are looking to use to compensate for the limitations with flash has been abused and while it may be read, it may not make an impact of for your site.  I was doing some research on the subject today and there are lots of good resources you can find on the topic. I recommend that you look into how other sites are working with flash.  I think I will probably have a technical article on the blog soon.   I have been thinking about Flash, Silverlight and even AJAX and how you can design for search success; I will follow-up when I have something for you. Also feel free to post any good resources you find on the subject here.

Jeremiah

Friday, January 4, 2008 12:05 AM
  • So far what I've found is something called FlashReplace by Robert Nyman. It allows you to put the Flash movie in place when JavaScript and Flash are enabled.
    Friday, January 4, 2008 9:04 AM