How do I get to the former Miscrosoft Money Forum? RRS feed

• Question

• The only forum I regularly go to is the Microsoft Money Forum.  when I clicked on the bookmarked link, the bing link, the google link, etc. I just get back to your home page.  Please help me get back to the MS Money forum.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:45 PM

Answers

• It used to be that you saw your most recently visited forums on the main page. Now a few options.

• Click on "Quick Access" on the main page and select "My Forums". It will be there if your previously configured the forum to show on this list (if not see below).
    • Click on "Quick Access" and select "My Threads". In this list each recent thread includes a link to the forum, which you can click to get to the forum page.
    • Follow the instructions in this thread to see Categories and the View All link, which allows you to search for a forum. Also included are instructions to add a forum, once you find it, to your "My Forums" collection:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b9f30f5f-9dde-49bb-941e-1e4dd0e092a2/how-to-see-forum-categories-and-view-all-link

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

• Proposed as answer by Doug Laundry (MSFT) Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by bobjbkln Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:53 PM

All replies

• It used to be that you saw your most recently visited forums on the main page. Now a few options.

• Click on "Quick Access" on the main page and select "My Forums". It will be there if your previously configured the forum to show on this list (if not see below).
    • Click on "Quick Access" and select "My Threads". In this list each recent thread includes a link to the forum, which you can click to get to the forum page.
    • Follow the instructions in this thread to see Categories and the View All link, which allows you to search for a forum. Also included are instructions to add a forum, once you find it, to your "My Forums" collection:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b9f30f5f-9dde-49bb-941e-1e4dd0e092a2/how-to-see-forum-categories-and-view-all-link

• Proposed as answer by Doug Laundry (MSFT) Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by bobjbkln Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:53 PM
  • I did get there by a slight more round about version (I clicked on my icon in this question and then went to My Threads).  I rebookmarked the location and it now seems to work.  Yet I am at a loss at how to designate MS Money as My Forum.  I cannot fined the Add to My Forums link on the MS Money Forum page.  Not a big deal, since I've bookmarked it, but still...
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

See this thread that Richard posted with screenshots on how to add a forum to your My Forums list:

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Yes, the process for adding a forum to your "My Forums" list is very different, and not intuitive. It was described to me in detail, and it still took me a long time because I never say the list of categories and the "View All" button people said I should see. The link shows screen shots and my best attempt to explain the steps. It's important because the only other way to find a forum is to use the search, but even that only shows when you see the frame on the left with the categories.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:45 PM
  • I sorry, I wasn't clear.  I had already gone to that link and spent at least 15 minutes trying to match his descriptions to what I was seeing on my computer.  I was unable to follow his instructions because I could not get my screen to match his screenshots and descriptions.  However, I said it's not a big deal since I bookmarked the new URL to the forum page.

• Edited by bobjbkln Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:48 PM added information.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:46 PM
  • bookmarked http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=money?

You can find the link to the forum in the thread list page when your thread list view contains one of the Microsoft Money forum threads.

Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:46 PM
  • bobjbkln, does this Wiki article help explain the steps to add a forum to "My Forums"?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/8739.msdntechnet-forums-how-to-add-a-forum-to-my-forums.aspx

I will need to modify this to reflect the hotfix that just came out. Now the "View All" button is at the top rather than the bottom, which is better. If something is not clear or needs improvement either let me know or edit the article yourself.

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:48 AM
  • Thank you.  I finally got it with the help from the Wiki and some trial and error including the required mouse maneuvering to get the contents in the right pane to remain unhidden.  I have to say that the fact that you have to click on Submit when the link says Remove from My Forums in order to add it to My Forums has to be one of the least intuitive procedures I've seen in a long time.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 2:24 PM
  • As mentioned already, the forum now has the URL: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=money If you previously had a bookmark to the old URL this should still work. 

Although at first glance this may look very different, this is the same scope of content as you would have had in the old design (in a given forum). The concept of "categories" and "forums" still exist but are more dynamic and allow users to customize their scope in a way they previously could not.

Also, as mentioned in this thread, you can add this forum to "My Forums." We are working on addressing the discoverability and ease of using this feature.  

Forums Program Manager

Friday, June 21, 2013 3:50 PM
  • bobjbkln, thanks for the feedback. I also noticed the unusual mouse behavior, but didn't know how to describe it in the Wiki. I may add a comment, since now I know it wasn't just me. When going through the steps to remove a forum, I accidently removed one I did not intend, I think because of the strange mouse maneuver required.

I use "My Forums" all the time as the fastest way to navigate to the ones I frequent. I just wish the forum list indicated last activity (user and time), so I can tell which to open.

Friday, June 21, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Richard, we added back the users in the thread meta data. Is this what you mean here?

Forums Program Manager

Friday, June 21, 2013 4:53 PM
  • Bryant - 

Thanks for getting that added back in.  But could it be in black?  We have what has been shown as the most desired information on the thread heading shown in grayed out color.  It needs to be easy to find.  I would say the names only in black to set them apart from the rest of the text.

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:33 PM
  • We do hope to add the user links back in eventually. Since this will be a link color do you believe this would be adequate to stand out more compared to the other meta data?

Forums Program Manager

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:41 PM
  • That would certainly help a lot.  Making it a link and bold would be even better.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 6:03 PM
  • Bryant, adding the meta data to the thread lists is a great help. Thanks for that. But I was referring to meta data in the "My Forums" view. This view shows number of threads (answered/unanswered), but has no indication of recent activity. This was also the case in the old design, but then I used the main forum page instead, which listed the forums where I was recently active. This Most Recent Forums list showed the meta data I needed about the most recent post in each forum (name and date of most recent reply I think). Since we don't have that view (my recent forums), I now wish we had that meta data in "My Forums" to help a moderator or answerer know where to go.

I guess this is actually a request for a new feature, but I make it because I feel we lost the functionality of the previous view of recent forums. I made a quick check, and although I mentioned the issue in a few threads, I don't think it has been requested anywhere, so I should add it. I will do this after I'm sure it has not yet been addressed.

Friday, June 21, 2013 10:33 PM
  • I had it mentioned in "Bugs and Issues" thread and there were a few more in Forum's Issues forum. I spent ~10 minutes today trying to locate these threads to no avail. The search in the forums is not perfect.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Edited by Naomi N Friday, June 21, 2013 10:36 PM Typo
    Friday, June 21, 2013 10:35 PM