Microsoft Money 2005 UK will not run after Windows 10 Anniversary Edition upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I ran MS Money 2005 UK successfully yesterday then upgraded Windows 10 to Anniversary Edition.  Now, when I try to run the program I get error messages which, unfortunately, I cannot paste into this message.  The first says:

"Money cannot locate 'c:\users\[my name]\documents\msmoney' or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected.  If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most recent backup file.  If the file is being used by another application, close it in the other application and click OK to try again.     OK"

When I click OK, I then get another message:

"Open a File

To start Money you must have a valid Money file open.  What you you like to do?

o Open an existing Money or Quicken file.

o Create a new file.

o Restore a backup file.

o Repair an existing Money file.

Need more help finding your Money file?        Next     Cancel"

If I try to open my existing file or restore the backup file, neither is recognised.  Yet my laptop, which has the previous version of Windows 10 and the same MS Money program can open my Money file without any problems.

Please can someone help me?

Friday, August 5, 2016 8:42 PM

All replies

• Shouldn't your data have a file name of the form msmoney.mny?
    Friday, August 5, 2016 9:42 PM
  • Uninstall Money, reboot and reinstall Money 2005 UK with the installer from the second post in this forum.

Saturday, August 6, 2016 6:53 AM
  • Use File Explorer to browse to 'c:\users\[my name]\documents. Do you see your file msmoney.mny there? If not you need to look around for it. You may have another My Documents folder on your PC where it is hiding? When you do find your .mny file check its Properties in the General and Security tabs and see if you can identify anything wrong.

By way of encouragement my PC was upgraded to Windows 10 anniversary edition last night and my MS Money UK version is working with no problems.

Saturday, August 13, 2016 1:40 PM