WHS disables my account RRS feed

• Question

• This is an issue that has been popping up from time to time for at least a year. Occasionally when I try to connect to my shared folders I get a message that the server is not available and to try back later. 

I know the server is running and I can RDC into it.  But if I go to users and groups I find my account is disabled.  I can't figure out why it is doing this.

I run the weblogs addin and it doesn't list anything that looks like a hacking attempt. Heck my server isn't even visible to the internet.

The only thing I can think of is that it's being caused by the fact that the password on my desktop does not match the password on my server. yes I did this on purpose.

Could it be that since the user name is the same as my desktop but the passwords are different that my server mistakenly thinks it's being hacked and disables the account?

Has this happened to anybody else?

Also I tried just using the connector and disabling then enabling the user. It doesn't work. I have to RDC in then go to users and groups to unlock the user account.

Thanks

Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:08 AM

Answers

The only thing I can think of is that it's being caused by the fact that the password on my desktop does not match the password on my server. yes I did this on purpose.

Could it be that since the user name is the same as my desktop but the passwords are different that my server mistakenly thinks it's being hacked and disables the account?

This is likely to be the cause of your problem. If you have some piece of software on you computer which "scans" shares, the mismatch in passwords can result in repeated attempts at connecting in a short time. While Windows Home Server has a relatively generous limit (50 attempts for a lock out), it will eventually be exceeded. At that point, you're subject to a 30 minute lockout (after which your account should be re-enabled), then whatever caused the problem in the first place will take over and probably lock your account again.

By design, Windows Home Server (i.e. Microsoft) expects that the passwords on your server and your client computers will match; it even provides a tool to make the synchronization of passwords between computers easier.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by MyAvatar Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:49 PM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 12:08 PM

All replies

This is likely to be the cause of your problem. If you have some piece of software on you computer which "scans" shares, the mismatch in passwords can result in repeated attempts at connecting in a short time. While Windows Home Server has a relatively generous limit (50 attempts for a lock out), it will eventually be exceeded. At that point, you're subject to a 30 minute lockout (after which your account should be re-enabled), then whatever caused the problem in the first place will take over and probably lock your account again.

By design, Windows Home Server (i.e. Microsoft) expects that the passwords on your server and your client computers will match; it even provides a tool to make the synchronization of passwords between computers easier.

• Marked as answer by MyAvatar Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:49 PM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 12:08 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I kind of think so also. Just wanted to see if the community had any other suggestions before I just lived with it.  I might experiment with waiting 30 minutes next time it happens to see if it unlocks on it's own.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:51 PM
  • You may never see the account unlocked. If it's something like a media player running in the background and you have it set to include your server's shares as part of it's library, it's trying to access the shares constantly. It could lock you back out within a minute or so.

I would recommend you figure out and fix the actual cause, if you really don't want the passwords synchronized.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:39 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

I don't run anything in the background that would try to connect to the server. Well at least I don't think I do. But I'm probably just going to synch the passwords and forget about it.

It does seem to only happen when I'm messing around and constantly connecting with both remote desktop, the console, and shared folders.

I guess I've always heard that Viruses and worms use shares to exploit or infect other computers so I try to never leave shares open when not in actual use. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Friday, April 16, 2010 5:48 AM
  • You could disable write access on any share. That would be sufficient for most of them (unless they are using an exploit in the sharing stack itself)
    Friday, April 16, 2010 9:20 PM