CRM 2011 - Claims Based Authentication with Cuetom Membership Provider? RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking into how feasible it would be to implement claims based authentication where the users are stored in a database or even CRM itself.  Does anyone have any ideas where to begin with this or have you seen a component or walkthrough.

I don't want to use AD nor do I want to use JAG.

My guess is that I may be able to create or obtain a Custom Membership Provider.

Would be useful to get some ideas of the setup and required pieces of the puzzle.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:07 AM

Answers

All replies

•  I don't believe what you are trying to do is supported.

Jamie Miley
    Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Thanks for that.

So, to be clear, there is no way to use a non-AD database of user accounts to authenticate into CRM.

Had thought there might be some way to create a Membership Provider for this.

There are other ways's to achieve what I woudl like, a seperate portal (with all the work required to make that look good) and createing System Users with a custom Security Role.

I am currently having a play with AD FS 2.0 as well.

I will continue to investigate.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Correct, Federated security is allowed for IFD for on-premise, but otherwise active directory is the only option. 

Unless of course you use CRM Online which uses Live ID authentication.

Jamie Miley
    Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Thae part that I'm struggling with is if I have a database, how do I created a Frederated Security Provider for it.  With Forms BAsed Authentication you could use a Membership Provider but I can't find any good examples of how to get started with it.

As it goes, we are examining another solution where we use a Portal between users and CRM.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:34 AM