none
Problems with file permissions on Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows Home Server has been hooked up for some time now and seemed to work flawlessly.  I recently started getting a message telling me that a new version of the connector is available (probably the result of the upgrade to PowerPack 3) but it isn't on my computer where it's supposed to be.  I have another thread going to address this.

Then I browsed to http://server:55000 and attempted to download the connector software and was denied access.  Why?  I already have the connector software installed on my Windows 7 laptop, doesn't that handle configuring file permissions?

Yesterday I attempted to install software for an Arts and Crafts studio that attaches to a PC (made by Fisher-Price) and ran into a similar problem.  The software assumes that you will want to save everything your kids do on this thing in the Photos folder.  My Photos folder was redirected to my WHS shared folders Photos where, again I evidently don't have the right file permissions to install the program. 

Using my laptop I can actually modify the file permissions on any of the WHS shared folders so why do you think I keep running into permission problems?  More importantly, where can I get a fresh copy of the connector software?  My backups haven't run in a while either . . .
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 6:49 PM

Answers

• My Windows Home Server has been hooked up for some time now and seemed to work flawlessly.  I recently started getting a message telling me that a new version of the connector is available (probably the result of the upgrade to PowerPack 3) but it isn't on my computer where it's supposed to be.  I have another thread going to address this.

Then I browsed to http://server:55000 and attempted to download the connector software and was denied access.  Why?

Because something is wrong with the permissions (probably on your server).

I already have the connector software installed on my Windows 7 laptop, doesn't that handle configuring file permissions?

Typically yes.  But there are other permissions on the server desktop that may be wrong that are blocking that as well.

Yesterday I attempted to install software for an Arts and Crafts studio that attaches to a PC (made by Fisher-Price) and ran into a similar problem.  The software assumes that you will want to save everything your kids do on this thing in the Photos folder.  My Photos folder was redirected to my WHS shared folders Photos where, again I evidently don't have the right file permissions to install the program. 

Using my laptop I can actually modify the file permissions on any of the WHS shared folders so why do you think I keep running into permission problems?

Do you have the Guest account on your server enabled?  Can you access any of the server shares from that client?

More importantly, where can I get a fresh copy of the connector software?  My backups haven't run in a while either . . .
    Do you have a folder called Home Server Connector Software inside your Software share?  (NOTE:  It has to be that exact name.)  If not, you might check the FAQ post:  How to fix "Page cannot be found" type errors when upgrading the connector for details on how to fix.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 7:03 PM

All replies

Then I browsed to http://server:55000 and attempted to download the connector software and was denied access.  Why?

Because something is wrong with the permissions (probably on your server).

I already have the connector software installed on my Windows 7 laptop, doesn't that handle configuring file permissions?

Typically yes.  But there are other permissions on the server desktop that may be wrong that are blocking that as well.

Using my laptop I can actually modify the file permissions on any of the WHS shared folders so why do you think I keep running into permission problems?

Do you have the Guest account on your server enabled?  Can you access any of the server shares from that client?

More importantly, where can I get a fresh copy of the connector software?  My backups haven't run in a while either . . .
    Do you have a folder called Home Server Connector Software inside your Software share?  (NOTE:  It has to be that exact name.)  If not, you might check the FAQ post:  How to fix "Page cannot be found" type errors when upgrading the connector for details on how to fix.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  I don have the Home Server Connector Software directory in the Software share.  If I didn't manually set the permissions on the folders on the server how can they be wrong?  I don't believe the Guest account is enabled on the server.  I can access all of the server shares from my laptop (only client).

I checked the permissions on this particular directory and, frankly, I can't make much sense of them.  There are two users that are strange to me.  One is RO8 and the other is RW8.  One has full permissions, the other has read permissions.  I can't add my laptop user name specifically because I am only able to add users from the server object. 

I ran the connector software .msi  and attempted to repair the connector software but the repair didn't change anything.  Furthermore the reminder to upgrade the connector still points to a directory on the client PC that doesn't exist. 

Lastly, though the connector software in the Home Server Connector Software directory installs the PP1 version of the software the Date Modified is from October 2009 (should coincide with the PP3 release, no?).

I should also mention that I have a Windows Home Server > Home Server Connector Software directory.  Frankly I don't know why I have two of the Home Server Connector Software directories.  Is it OK to delete the latter of the two?

Thanks for your continuing help.

MJ
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:07 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  I don have the Home Server Connector Software directory in the Software share.

Did you try following the link I posted about creating that folder?

If I didn't manually set the permissions on the folders on the server how can they be wrong?

Maybe something happened during installation or something you installed afterwards changed it.

I don't believe the Guest account is enabled on the server.  I can access all of the server shares from my laptop (only client).

I checked the permissions on this particular directory and, frankly, I can't make much sense of them.  There are two users that are strange to me.  One is RO8 and the other is RW8.  One has full permissions, the other has read permissions.  I can't add my laptop user name specifically because I am only able to add users from the server object. 

FYI, all permissions should be set through the Console.  Setting permissions any other way (which, apparently from your earlier post, is something you have done) is unsupported and could cause the exact problems you're having now.

I ran the connector software .msi  and attempted to repair the connector software but the repair didn't change anything.  Furthermore the reminder to upgrade the connector still points to a directory on the client PC that doesn't exist. 

Lastly, though the connector software in the Home Server Connector Software directory installs the PP1 version of the software the Date Modified is from October 2009 (should coincide with the PP3 release, no?).

Yes, that's correct.  (MS should have updated the Licensing agreement to say PP3, but for whatever reason, didn't.  IMO, bad decision on their part.)

I should also mention that I have a Windows Home Server > Home Server Connector Software directory.  Frankly I don't know why I have two of the Home Server Connector Software directories.  Is it OK to delete the latter of the two?

Don't delete either of them yet.  Please copy and paste the entire path for both directories here.

Thanks for your continuing help.

MJ

Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Any chance my BitDefender 2010 Internet Security software (installed on the client PC) could be causing me problems?  I ran the WHS toolkit and also see that UPnP is not working as it's supposed to.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:39 PM
  • Any chance my BitDefender 2010 Internet Security software (installed on the client PC) could be causing me problems?  I ran the WHS toolkit and also see that UPnP is not working as it's supposed to.
    It's possible.  Try uninstalling it and see if it works afterwards.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:42 PM