Original Windows XP Pro (OEM Software) installation CD is damaged, how do I format my PC now? RRS feed

• Question

• I had purchased a Windows XP Professional (with Service Pack 2) OEM Software & installed it on my PC (purchased earlier with only FreeDos) & had been using it for the last 2 years. I always kept the OS updated. I keep my hard drive partitioned into two parts - 'C:' for all programs & 'D:' drive for all data.

Recently, while upgrading my Kaspersky Internet Security Suite, I failed to uninstall the older version & then I attempted to do a System Restore. However it did not work & the PC came to a standstill with only the wallpaper on display & nothing else. So thereafter I did a quick formatting of the 'C:' drive so that I could retrieve all data for back-up from 'D' drive. Although as of now my PC is working, I want to re-format & do a clean installation of the OS once again.

But the original Windows XP Professional installation CD has somehow got damaged & is not readable. Neither do I have a duplicate copy. I had placed an online request for replacement of the Windows XP Professional CD to microsoft at - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326246. However they have declined the request stating that their stock has been depleted & instead suggested me to purchase a later Windows version. However my PC is not compatible with Windows 7 & I do not wish to invest further to upgrade the hardware at this stage.

So please suggest if say I borrow a similar genuine Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 2) OEM Software CD from a friend,  can I install the OS on my PC using my own product key as I have a valid license

Is there any other way out?

Yours truly,

cnmullick
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, if you have a friend who has an original Windows XP Professional (any service pack) OEM you can use their media and the key you have.

Not very nice of Microsoft to not assist you here, only simply to push you onto the new Operating system, no manners at all!
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Hello mongoled,

You wrote, "Not very nice of Microsoft to not assist you here, only simply to push you onto the new Operating system, no manners at all!"

It has nothing to do with manners.

Microsoft follows a well documented support policy as described here:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Carey Frisch

would you be so kind to explain to the normal people that frequent this forum why you felt the need to delete my post?

Also please would you kindly explain why, where as two people (myself and Freedom I.T. Systems) have offered cnmullick  a solution that will allow him/her the ability to SOLVE their issues?

Now if you are you simply going to post Microsoft's documented support policy, then simply dont bother.

I personally am fed up of the strong arm tactics that many large organisations are taken against their customers.

Microsoft being one of them, that is my opinion, and I do hope that freedom of speech is allowed on these forum albeit we are posting under Microsoft 'roof' or so to say.

Ofcourse I am at fault here, wasting my time, assisting people.

If the moderators feel the need to continue to delete posts that may stop Microsoft earning more money then so be it.

I just hope that enough people get to see just how Microsoft treat real people.........

Enjoy your day!
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Hello mongoled,

The appropriate section of this forum for posting comments and opinions is:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinefeedback/threads
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Your comments have been non-constructive and overtly opinionated. 

"Freedom I.T. Systems" stated: "If you know a tech friend who has an MSDN or TechNet subscription, this would also do as they could download and burn the iso for you." 

That statement is incorrect!  MSDN or TechNet subscription download media are retail and not OEM versions.  A Windows XP OEM product key will not work with retail installation media.  The post was deleted because it was poor advice.

Please remember that folks who post here are looking for correct advice and not half-baked ideas or opinions.

Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Dear mongoled,  

Let me sincerely thank you for your advice & you are doing a good job trying to assist people. I also agree with your view that freedom of speech should be allowed in such a forum.  

Now with no other viable option, I have to search for a person who has a similar Windows XP Professional (OEM Software) Installation CD & convince him/her to lend it to me so that I can do a clean installation on my PC using my own product key. This is going to be a difficult task.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Dear Carey Frisch,  

mongoled may have opinionated, but you see I'm in a real mess. 

I'm using a Compaq Presario SR1931IL Desktop PC & HP PSC 1210 Printer at home & I'm happy with Windows XP Professional OS & in no hurry to switchover to Windows 7. Now say theoretically even if I upgrade some hardware components such as RAM etc. to make the PC compatible for Windows 7 OS, I won't get the drivers for the PC & the Printer as the manufacturer does not provide them. In such case I have to discard my existing PC as well as the Printer which are otherwise good & buy new ones just because the OS Installation CD is damaged. This does not make sense.  

It seems that Microsoft is providing 'extended support' for Windows XP Professional till April 2014. In such case the company should also have some provision for replacing the media as this could happen to just anyone. If they cannot provide a replacement CD, they should at least have a provision for a software download option for a valid license holder, where a customer like myself is willing to bear the handling charges. 

Reading out a policy document & declining support to a genuine customer who is in trouble, cannot be termed as a customer-friendly approach.
    • Edited by cnmullick Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:05 PM reply edited
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:59 PM
  • This issue does not appear to be Windows Activation or Validation related.

I recommend posting in the Windows XP Answers Forum at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp.

Closing this thread as Off Topic

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:40 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:39 PM