HELP!!! Big Problem with OEM RRS feed

• Question

• I am a first time beta tester and have run RC1 for several months now with only a few small problems. Fell in love with WHS so I purchased OEM and have run into serious problems.

System: Medion 2.66GHz, 2MB RAM, Seagate 750GB Internal HD split into 20GB SYS and 678.63GB DATA, 2 External USB Maxtor III 1TB Drives. Approximately 1.35TB of 2.5TB Capacity was utilized while in RC1. Have monitor and keyboard attached, not headless.

Installed OEM from boot, chose server reinstallation everything went fine, reinstalled WHSC on 5 other home computers. During 1st backup that evening received Critical message Hard Drive is failing please repair or replace. Going into WHSC Server Storage it read "Missing" after the affected hard drive.

Decided to reinstall WHS hoping that would fix problem, WHS reinstalled. If I launch WHSC on WHS the first message it gives me is: Backup service is not running, some WHSC functions will not be available, please restart, if problem persists contact Product Support. (How can I do that I thought with OEM I had no product support) Clicking on OK in dialogue box then open WHSC on WHS.

If I go into Server Storage it tells me that hard drive is "Missing" with no option to repair. If I go into Shared Folders it does show me all my original folders are still there. If I go into Network Critical it gives me the following three messages:

1) Backup Service is not running on server Server. (Probably makes senses since I have not set up WHSC on any of the other home computers after the reinstall.

2) Hard Drive with name Maxtor One Touch III has failed. Please run repair or add replacement and then remove.

3) Storage Status: Volume with name DE Secondary Volume is failing. Please try to run Repair to fix errors for disk Maxtor One Toucvh III USB Device.

If I go into Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management, the first message it bring me is Initialize and Convert Disk Wizard. If I cancel past that it shows me Disk 5 as being "Not Initialized" and "Unallocated" which is the Maxtor External hard drive that is missing.

Ken, can you or any other of the experts help me save my "bacon" without having to reload all of the data back onto WHS. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 10:29 AM

Answers

• Thanks everyone!!!!! I removed the bad hardrive and WHS told me everything was saved. The big problem is that I was not able to get Back-up service running again. I went to reinstall WHS for the third time to get Backup Service running and it gave me an option of new install only. So guess what I started from scratch and I am currently still reloading my data back onto WHS. Once I get it all there I will click on redundancy and simply wait until the next hard drive fails.

Friday, October 19, 2007 10:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There have been numerous complaints about the Maxtor Drives and them being suddenly not recognised, particulalrly the initial versions. It appears they have an internal power-saving setting, which sometimes will not recognise the 'wake-up' signal from the computer they are attached to. You 'might' be able to trigger it into life by attaching it to a different USB port, it's worth trying. Have you tried attaching it to another computer and running chkdsk x: (where x is the drive letter), to see if it can show any problems.

Colin

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:14 PM
  • Thanks everyone!!!!! I removed the bad hardrive and WHS told me everything was saved. The big problem is that I was not able to get Back-up service running again. I went to reinstall WHS for the third time to get Backup Service running and it gave me an option of new install only. So guess what I started from scratch and I am currently still reloading my data back onto WHS. Once I get it all there I will click on redundancy and simply wait until the next hard drive fails.

Friday, October 19, 2007 10:34 AM
  • Kaisat,

The problem is not limited to the Maxtor drives, I have run into the same problem with three WD 500gb external drives. As stated in the last response it seems to point to the power saving feature built into the firmware of the drive. The only solution I have found so far, and it's not much of a solution, is to power down the whole system and on restart it finds the drive and all is well for a period of time. Now that the retail version is out, I'll rebuild my server using all internals and move the WD's  to one of the client machines.

Bob
    Friday, October 19, 2007 2:23 PM