Remote Access Streaming RRS feed

• Question

• Currently the WHS can stream files to any networked device on the network. But I think that when connecting remotely to the server the files that Media streaming is switched on for should be able to stream over Remote access.

for example when opening the music share on the server, where all the nav buttons like Download etc are along to top have a button saying Stream and it will download a playlist that opens WMP and streams the files from the server in WMP.

Any one else agree with this? I have all my music on the server to stream to all my computers now when I want to listen to it away from home I have to download each song I want to listen to. Now for some one like me who has a Music Libary of over 20gb of Music I think that streaming will be of a big benefit.

Possibly include this with videos too? Maby for users with fast BB connections :s

Another way could be that when clicking on the song it will open another page with an embedded player that plays the song, same with the videos.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 5:59 PM

All replies

• Depending on your connection, streaming may not work very well.  For this reason, I would expect that the WHS team considers this a low priority (especially since slingbox offers this feature for video, and probably also music).  Nonetheless, you could always try setting up a vpn and streaming on the vpn - maybe not the best solution for what you want to do, but it could work.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 4:48 PM
  • is there any way on WHS to set up vpn? or will this require another server running server 2003?
    Monday, February 26, 2007 10:49 AM
  •  Xtremist wrote:

Currently the WHS can stream files to any networked device on the network. But I think that when connecting remotely to the server the files that Media streaming is switched on for should be able to stream over Remote access.

for example when opening the music share on the server, where all the nav buttons like Download etc are along to top have a button saying Stream and it will download a playlist that opens WMP and streams the files from the server in WMP.

Any one else agree with this? I have all my music on the server to stream to all my computers now when I want to listen to it away from home I have to download each song I want to listen to. Now for some one like me who has a Music Libary of over 20gb of Music I think that streaming will be of a big benefit.

Possibly include this with videos too? Maby for users with fast BB connections :s

Another way could be that when clicking on the song it will open another page with an embedded player that plays the song, same with the videos.

And if streaming is enabled, will it be enabled so that Windows Mobile devices can use it?  I'm often in situations where it makes no sense to breakout my laptop, but my Treo would do the job.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 3:31 PM
  • I Agree with you. I would love to be able to stream the songs from one PC to another via the web interface rather than going through explorer. it would be sweet to also do it to a Mobile Device since I have a blackberry and would be cool to listen when i am not at home.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 1:17 AM
  • I Completely agree.

I wouldn't buy WHS without this feature.  I have a couple hundred gigs of music and videos (paid for) that I'd like to tap into at work or remotely elsewhere, but don't want to have to download the stuff to my laptop (60gb drive).  It only makes sense for all streamable resources (video, music) to both local and remote clients. It does not make sense to have to replicate my own content.  I'd like to see the system generate and store playlists based on selections, then provide a url to access each one using my favorite audio/video player. 

Friday, May 11, 2007 4:18 AM