WHS not connecting to internet ( Windows Update ) RRS feed

• Question

• Maybe someone can help. My WHS version is:6.0.1371.0

When i first installed my copy of WHS, it installed perfectly and went right to windows update and updated software and installed hot fixes even installed internet explorer 7. Everything was working fine for quite awhile, whenever i would click on windows updates it would go to the site and check for updates and download them and install them if needed.After adding some hardware ( hard drives ) the system crashed to the point of having to do a software reinstall. the system is back in the original configuration as it was during the 1st installation and after several reinstallations with the system connected to the network or disconnected from the network and the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration checked and unchecked for administrator groups and other user groups, all my internet properties settings set as they should be,trusted sites etc.....I am not able to connect to windows update any longer yet sometime it will connect to Windows Market Place no problem ??????????? It doesn't make sense to me.

Any Suggestions ?

Thursday, October 4, 2007 4:17 PM

Answers

•  shiro114 wrote:

Hello brubber,

It went right to " Google

Ok, so do you have internet connectivity. Your only problem is resolving the internet address to an IP address, which is generally caused by an incorrect setting of the DNS server address(es).

To change DNS server settings go to properties of your LAN adapters, then to TCP/IP properties, and configure DNS server(s)

to view your current DNS server address(es) open command shell, type "ipconfig /all" and hit enter. If you don't know what to do with this info please post:

IP-address

default gateway

DHCP Server

DNS servers

Monday, October 8, 2007 7:33 AM
  • Shiro114,

It does give me some more insight in your config. There are a few things that seem a bit odd to me.

1. Login type of your router surprised me a bit. I would think your modem already takes care of this. I would expect login type of your router to be either "Automatic IP" or "Fixed IP". In the latter case you would assign an IP address outside of the modem DHCP range. for example 192.168.1.154, netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.254, DNS server 192.168.1.254. In general automatic IP  / DNS should be OK,  when DHCP server is enabled on your modem.

2. Your WHS has IP address 192.168.1.1, but also gateway address 192.168.1.1 This makes me think that you also have DHCP server running on your WHS box, in the same range as your modem but with different gateway address. This is not OK and also very unlikely, since DHCP server is not installed by default on W2K3 servers (and WHS) AFAIK. Another option is that you also have DHCP server active on your router. When configured properly this should not be a problem, actually this would be a very normal configuration. It should however use another IP range then your modem, for example 192.168.2.xxx, and 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.2.254 as default gateway.

Some more questions:

a. How are your workstations connected (wired / wireless), and do they connect to the router or to the modem? ( do ipconfig and check gateway).

b. Can you check if DHCP server is also enabled on your router, and if so what address range / gateway

Before you start making (major) changes to your modem or router please try the following TCP/IP settings on your WHS box:

IP address 192.168.1.155 (instead off 155 you can choose any number between 154 and 254)

Subnetmask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.1.254

Primary DNS Server 192.168.1.254

You may try entering 205.152.144.23 for secondary DNS server

Irrespective of the result I would advise you to ask someone who understands network configuration and modem / router setup to have a look at your configuration. If you don't know what you're doing it's very easy to mess things up really bad.

Friday, October 12, 2007 9:51 PM
  • The router that I am using is a linksys 54G wireless & wired..... and the modem is a Westell Model 6100 DSL2 + ROUTER. After all the help that I had received was greatly appreciated , however I still had Difficulties accessing some web sites and on other sites I had No problems accessing them at all.

I remember reading an article some time back about the proper MTU Value for different web sites.

I changed my " MTU " value in my Router to 1462 Default was 1472 and saved it. I re-opened Internet Explorer and it Solved the connectivity problems that I was experiencing.

Shiro114   

Monday, October 29, 2007 8:31 PM

All replies

• Is your home server able to get to any other websites other than Windows Market Place? Are you manually going to Windows Update or allowing the server to perform automatic updates on its own? Are there any errors reported from your connector (Network Health)?

Typically there shouldn't be anything you need to do at all to the WHS server once it's installed for automatic updates to run successfully. Please note: if you do not need any particular optional update to perform a task unrelated to Windows Home Server itself, it isn't necessary to install it manually.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 5:14 PM
  • Thanks Marc,

To answer your question, no, WHS will not access the internet at all. The few times it has gone to windows market place

have only been a couple of times as i was just going through the links that were already established in IExplorer.

as i am typing this reply to you, i tried to see if it would go back online and it will not go back online.

when i tried to go to the update site it times out and says " The page cannot be displayed " and of course i have gone through all of the options it explains to do, with no good result. I have reset my modem & router and have checked all of my settings, by all practical reasons it should be able to go to at least a trusted site i would think.

I know that when i did my 1st install, I could go to my add or remove programs and i had a slew of hot fixes and patches,

when i look now, there are none. this install has been up and running approx 1 1\2 wks now.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 6:23 PM
  •  Marc Moon wrote:

Are there any errors reported from your connector (Network Health)?

Some things to check:

1. Can any of the Windows Home Server shared folders be accessed by other computers on the network by \\SERVER\Software (where SERVER is the name of your server) - can the installed Connector software on other computers detect the server? Any errors reported?
      1. If not, be sure to check:
        1. Network cable
        2. Log into the router > navigate to Attached Devices > Is your server listed?
        3. Try a different cable port on your router to plug in the cable
      2. If yes, please try:
        1. Updating drivers for your network adapter
        2. Launching Internet Explorer > click on Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab > click the LAN settings button > ensure the 'Automatically detect settings' checkbox is checked
    Thursday, October 4, 2007 10:05 PM
  •  

If I were you I would first check if it's a DNS problem (open internet explorer, type IP address of website (for example http://66.102.9.104 or http://64.233.183.104 which should get you both to google) in address bar and hit Enter. If this works you know where to look.

If it doesn't check you default gateway ("Start", "Run", type "cmd", hit "Enter", type "ipconfig" and hit "Enter"). In most cases the default gateway is the IP address of your router or modem (192.168.1.1 is quite common).

If this is OK check your cables by using take another system in your home and connect it to your router  / modem using the cable currently attached to your WHS box.

Friday, October 5, 2007 8:44 PM
  • Hello Marc,

I went through your checklist above, yes all the PC's on the network ( 4 ) are able to see and comunicate with the server

and vice versa, no problem there.I kept on going through all my settings in pc & router and could not find anything out of the norm. it just didn't make a whole lot of sense. I ended up and just got frustrated and did another reinstall and viola, it now connects but very very picky on where it will connect to now. during installation yes it went to MS Update and installed a couple of updates, IE7 for win server 2003 & Win server 2003 KB 929644. again it will go to windows marketplace server pages it activated windows via internet it will even go to the connect site but it will not load the sign in button to sign in. go figure..... any other site i try to go to (microsoft or any other ) i will always get " web site found. waiting for reply.......it will time out then i get the error Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage "then of course i go through all my settings again just to check......... I must be missing something.

Thanks again

shiro114

Sunday, October 7, 2007 2:27 AM
  • Hello brubber,

Sunday, October 7, 2007 2:33 AM
  • Evening,

Usually, if you can communicate via the IP address, but not the name, it means that your not resolving the Domain Name. If so you haven't modified your DNS settings in any way? Also, the IP and DNS settings for you Network Connection, should both be set to Automatic.

Colin

Sunday, October 7, 2007 5:09 PM
  •  shiro114 wrote:

Hello brubber,

Ok, so do you have internet connectivity. Your only problem is resolving the internet address to an IP address, which is generally caused by an incorrect setting of the DNS server address(es).

To change DNS server settings go to properties of your LAN adapters, then to TCP/IP properties, and configure DNS server(s)

to view your current DNS server address(es) open command shell, type "ipconfig /all" and hit enter. If you don't know what to do with this info please post:

IP-address

default gateway

DHCP Server

DNS servers

Monday, October 8, 2007 7:33 AM
  • Hello again brubber'

I did what you said to do above, even went into my network settings again and tried to change the settings from auto to manual based on the settings i got from the cmd shell. "ipconfig/all" still , nothing has changed as to what sites it will go to.for an example, In IE i can type http://131.107.112.14 which is connect.microsoft.com....it will go to the site and will load the page with the exception it will not finish loading the " sign in button ". However when i typed in

http://64.233.183.104 Google it went with no problems and i could continue to navigate through out the site.When i try to go to microsoft sites ,it will not load, pages time out with error messages.This happens with other sites as well, but it will go to "some " sites. with no other words to explain it, it is very picky as to what sites it will go to.The only microsoft site i can get it to go to on a regular basis is the " Windows Market Server "sites.

Windows Ip configuration

Host name.......................................................SERVER

primary DNS suffix...........................................________

Node type.......................................................unknown

IP Routing enabled..........................................no

Wins proxy enabled........................................no

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

Connection specific DNS suffix:

Decription

Physical address............................................00-07-E9-08-90-F6

DHCP Enabled...............................................yes

Auto configuration Enabled..............................yes

IP Address.....................................................192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask..................................................255.255.255.0

Default Gateway.............................................192.168.1.1

DHCP Server..................................................192.168.1.1

DNS Servers...................................................205.152.144.23

205.152.37.23

I appreciate the help........

Shiro114

Monday, October 8, 2007 4:40 PM
  • Hey Marc,

Just wanted to say thanks for your help, read farther down this thread.........To Me ? I'm ready to pull my hair out..... Every thing else with this copy of WHS seems to be working great.......Just this tempermental Connectivity Problem.

Thanks again

Shiro114

Monday, October 8, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Don't pull out your hairs, you may still need them!

Normally DHCP and DNS set to auto should function, however they do require an active DHPC / DNS server in your network. Normally this would be a task for your router or modem.

Right now it seems as your WHS box is the DHCP server / and gateway. With these settings it's unlikely to work unless if you have as separate modem or router in your network. Possibly the modem or a router is ill-configured or perhaps it just ran into some problems it can't resolve anymore. Resetting modem / routers

First thing I would try is to set TCP/IP to manual and use the following settings:

IP address 192.168.1.50 (instead off 50 you can choose any unused number in your network except 1 and 254)

Subnetmask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

DNS Server 192.168.1.1.

After applying these settings go network connections, right click on your LAN connection and select "Restore".

Now try connecting again. This will probably restore normal internet connectivity on your WHS box, however there may still be some problems / misconfigs in your network on your WHS box. From your last post it appears that your WHS is running DHCP server. This doesn't have to be a major problem as long as it's configured properly and you have no other DHPC servers in the same network segment. If the WHS box is not running DHCP server then it's likely there is something wrong with the DHCP server (probably your router if you have one). In that case normally resetting the router (power cycle) should solve that problem unless you deliberately made some config errors.

You may choose to resolve these other problems, but if everything is working fine again after setting manual TPC/IP on your WHS you may also leave things as they are. Good LUCK

If these TCP/IP settings do not correct your problem you please post more detailed info on your network topology: modem, router(s) if possible all with their IP-address, whether or not they are running DHCP server, if yes DHCP address range.

Monday, October 8, 2007 8:48 PM
  • Hello brubber,

I'm still trying to find out some system info ( settings ) but in past couple of days, haven't had much time to explore the problems at hand. However, i did try the settings you mentioned above, sadly to say they did not work.

Basic Network is as follows....Westell DSL Modem to Linksys Router

Modem

Wan IP Address.....................74.185.251.11

Gateway IP Address...............65.14.194.28

Primary DNS..........................205.152.144.23

Secondary DNS......................205.152.37.23

IP Interfaces

Address                             Netmask                              Name

127.0.0.1                       255.0.0.0                                   lo0

192.168.1.254                255.255.255.0                            eth0

NETWORK ROUTING TABLE

Destination                       Netmask                                Gateway                               Interface

0.0.0.0                          0.0.0.0                                    74.185.251.11                       mainPPP

192.168.1.0                   255.255.255.0                          192.168.1.254                       eth0

HOST ROUTING TABLE

Destination                                      Gateway                                                   Interface

74.185.251.11                              127.0.0.1                                                       lo0

127.0.0.1                                     127.0.0.1                                                       lo0

192.168.1.254                              127.0.0.1                                                       lo0

LAN STATISTICS                                                                                                                    

Device IP Address         192.168.1.254

DHCP Netmask             255.255.255.0

DHCP Start Address      192.168.1.1

DHCP End Address       192.168.1.153

DHCP Server Status       ON

DHCP Server                 Enabled

Router Information                                                                                                                  

Login Type....................................PPPoE

Login Status.................................Connected

IP Address                                   74.185.251.11

Subnet Mask...............................255.255.255.255

Default Gateway..........................70.159.188.19

DNS 1:.......................................205.152.144.23

DNS 2:.......................................205.152.37.23

Hopefully this info will give you more insight in reference to my configuration.......

Thanks again....

Shiro114

Friday, October 12, 2007 7:38 PM
  • Shiro114,

It does give me some more insight in your config. There are a few things that seem a bit odd to me.

1. Login type of your router surprised me a bit. I would think your modem already takes care of this. I would expect login type of your router to be either "Automatic IP" or "Fixed IP". In the latter case you would assign an IP address outside of the modem DHCP range. for example 192.168.1.154, netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.254, DNS server 192.168.1.254. In general automatic IP  / DNS should be OK,  when DHCP server is enabled on your modem.

2. Your WHS has IP address 192.168.1.1, but also gateway address 192.168.1.1 This makes me think that you also have DHCP server running on your WHS box, in the same range as your modem but with different gateway address. This is not OK and also very unlikely, since DHCP server is not installed by default on W2K3 servers (and WHS) AFAIK. Another option is that you also have DHCP server active on your router. When configured properly this should not be a problem, actually this would be a very normal configuration. It should however use another IP range then your modem, for example 192.168.2.xxx, and 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.2.254 as default gateway.

Some more questions:

a. How are your workstations connected (wired / wireless), and do they connect to the router or to the modem? ( do ipconfig and check gateway).

b. Can you check if DHCP server is also enabled on your router, and if so what address range / gateway

Before you start making (major) changes to your modem or router please try the following TCP/IP settings on your WHS box:

IP address 192.168.1.155 (instead off 155 you can choose any number between 154 and 254)

Subnetmask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.1.254

Primary DNS Server 192.168.1.254

You may try entering 205.152.144.23 for secondary DNS server

Irrespective of the result I would advise you to ask someone who understands network configuration and modem / router setup to have a look at your configuration. If you don't know what you're doing it's very easy to mess things up really bad.

Friday, October 12, 2007 9:51 PM
  • Hello brubber,

I have been going through all the posts today since posting my configs, hoping you would happen to read it and respond,

no i am no top gun when it comes to networking.....I'm still going to the school of hard knocks!!!!!!!

My whole network is wired but right now until I figure this thing out i only have one ( 1 ) PC networked to WHS. I did have ( 4 ) four hooked up to the server  ( VIA  Router ) but trying to get this problem figured out, i thought that it would make it a little easier just dealing with my Media Center PC ( Workstation ) and the Server. Something that I just thought of, I don't know if it will make a difference,the modem is in a bridged mode to enable it to work with the router . I haven't tried to connect just using the modem by itself because of the hassle of all of the settings i would have to change, because of the way it is set up..........Internet Connection Type ... PPPoE and being in bridged mode allows router to become gateway to Internet. I'll try the settings( above ) that you mentioned and will post back.

Thanks for your help and suggestions once again.

Shiro114

Friday, October 12, 2007 10:33 PM
  • AFAIK If modem is in bridged mode it should NOT be DHCP server. If modem is in bridged mode router should best be in router  / gateway mode and acting as DHCP server.

Friday, October 12, 2007 11:11 PM
  • Hello again brubber,

I tried the settings you mentioned but they failed to work also, However, I disconnected my router ( Linksys WRT45G ) (Using it in the wired mode ) and did a modem reset and reconfigured the modem,WHS accessed the Internet flawlessly

and retreived 31 updates. As you had mentioned earlier, it was probably ill configured, which brings me to a compatibility

issue between the modem and router as far as having to have the modem in a bridged mode and not being able to disable

the modem( DHCP Server ) in order for the router and the modem ( Westell ) to halfway work together?

When I tried to disable the modem ( DHCP Server ) it said that I needed a static IP address which I don't have.

What really confuses me and really muddies up the waters is when I hooked up the router again and put the modem back in the bridged mode.....My laptop and three other Workstations can see and communicate with the WHS box and access the Internet but the WHS box cannot access the internet unless I wire it direct to the modem with no network.

I guess some connectivity is better than none.

I appreciate the help and suggestions that you and others have given in this matter.....

Thanks

Shiro114

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 5:30 PM
  • The router that I am using is a linksys 54G wireless & wired..... and the modem is a Westell Model 6100 DSL2 + ROUTER. After all the help that I had received was greatly appreciated , however I still had Difficulties accessing some web sites and on other sites I had No problems accessing them at all.

I remember reading an article some time back about the proper MTU Value for different web sites.

I changed my " MTU " value in my Router to 1462 Default was 1472 and saved it. I re-opened Internet Explorer and it Solved the connectivity problems that I was experiencing.

Shiro114   

Monday, October 29, 2007 8:31 PM
  • Good you didn't give up and finally solved all your problems!!! I would never have thought of changing the MTU in the router. From what I recall this probably has something to do with additional overhead caused by the way the internal network of your ISP is setup, requiring a MTU slightly lower than max MTU for PPPoE connections (1492) 

Monday, October 29, 2007 11:50 PM
  • Hello brubber,

No I did'nt give up and yes you are correct on the MAX  default value of 1492 a " typo " on my part !  And you are probably

correct on the " Overhead " . I'm glad that I did'nt pull my hair out now......!  I can honestly say though, it really gave me a run for my money per sey because all my settings that I had --- Should have worked ???!!!!!!

What is the Old Saying ??? If you don't make mistakes........You Don't Learn ???

Once Again , I Really Appreciate You returning to My thread and Your continued Help in Me solving this Problem.

shiro114
    Monday, November 5, 2007 1:54 AM
  • I was having this same issue and found the issue came down to my Trendnet 432BRP router's Network Address Translation (NAT) settings in my router.  I have the receive "disabled" versus being set to RIP1.  What really made this strange was:

1.  could get to google, yahoo but not to any of microsoft's sites

2.  could intermittently run windows update from the console, but not from the server browser via terminal server

3.  could get to windows update from any other PC in home via same router (wired or wireless), but not from server

I went through countless steps, including disabling all the internet security settings on my browser, hard coding an IP address & DNS servers, removing the secure microsoft URLs from IE, among other things. 

Once I enabled the NAT receive setting, I was able to reset all my network configs to DHCP and my default high security on IE back.  

Hope this helps.

Monday, June 23, 2008 1:20 PM
  • Signed up to comment on this really old thread...I too have the TrendNet 432BRP and couldn't figure out why I could ping major sites (google, yahoo, few others) but no microsoft stuff.  Setting "Receive = RIP1" instead of the default disabled did the trick!  Thanks jgATL.
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:54 PM