MHS Server Storage Window never displays chart of disk usage + auto shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP Media Smart Server running Windows Home Server software version 6.0.2030.0.  I have two disks for a total storage of 1 terabyte.  My two computers are running Windows XP SP3 fully patched.

When I try to display the chart in the "Server Storage Window" I get a never ending "calculating sizes..." green bar display.  How do I make this work?

I have tried letting this run for several hours but it never resolves itself.

Also, I automatically shut down all my computers at 11:00 PM daily.  I would like to shut down my HP Media Smart Server about 5 minutes before the computers go down.

Is this a good idea?  If so, how can I do it automatically?

Thanks,
    John
    Monday, June 8, 2009 8:40 PM

Answers

• I am already at Power Pack 2.  Since I have "Install Update Automatically" checked in my WHS General Settings window, will I be assured to have the latest and greatest version of the WHS software?

By "server recovery" do you mean what the help and documentation calls "Windows Home Server Reinstallation"?

Thanks,
    John

It is a server reinstallation. HP calls it a server recovery. When you perform this, it will revert the server back to either RTM or PP1 and you will need to run Windows Update again to reinstall Power Pack 2. Once Power Pack 2 is installed, the version in the settings>resources windows should indicate 2030.
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 12:07 AM

All replies

• I have a HP Media Smart Server running Windows Home Server software version 6.0.2030.0.  I have two disks for a total storage of 1 terabyte.  My two computers are running Windows XP SP3 fully patched.

When I try to display the chart in the "Server Storage Window" I get a never ending "calculating sizes..." green bar display.  How do I make this work?

I have tried letting this run for several hours but it never resolves itself.

Also, I automatically shut down all my computers at 11:00 PM daily.  I would like to shut down my HP Media Smart Server about 5 minutes before the computers go down.

Is this a good idea?  If so, how can I do it automatically?

Thanks,
    John

Which version of the HP MediaSmart Server is this and do you have any add-ins installed?  
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, June 8, 2009 9:41 PM
  • Hi Lara,

I have the EX475 model and have the following add-ins:

* PVConnect Media Server for HP Media Smart version 4.4.4
    * Windows Home Server Toolkit 1.1 version 6.0.1800.0

Monday, June 8, 2009 10:13 PM
  • Hi Lara,

I have the EX475 model and have the following add-ins:

* PVConnect Media Server for HP Media Smart version 4.4.4
    * Windows Home Server Toolkit 1.1 version 6.0.1800.0

If the server storage chart has always done this, I would suggest a server recovery and then bring the server back up to Power Pack 2.  I've seen this before but the server usually fixes itself after about 10 minutes and it usually happens after a sudden power outage or other unexpected power off. You can try uninstalling PVConnect but I doubt that will matter. Like I said, I've seen it before but it's usually because of an unexpected event.

Note: A recovery only reinstalls the sys partition but leaves your data intact.

As for powering off the server, this is not a supported scenario but there are add-ins that will do this for you. Please be sure to follow up with the developer of the add-in if you have any trouble.  Also be aware that if the server and clients are off, they won't be able to perform backups ;)

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, June 8, 2009 10:22 PM
  • I am already at Power Pack 2.  Since I have "Install Update Automatically" checked in my WHS General Settings window, will I be assured to have the latest and greatest version of the WHS software?

By "server recovery" do you mean what the help and documentation calls "Windows Home Server Reinstallation"?

Thanks,
    John

Monday, June 8, 2009 11:36 PM

Thanks,
    John

It is a server reinstallation. HP calls it a server recovery. When you perform this, it will revert the server back to either RTM or PP1 and you will need to run Windows Update again to reinstall Power Pack 2. Once Power Pack 2 is installed, the version in the settings>resources windows should indicate 2030.
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 12:07 AM
  • Thank you for your help!
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:14 PM