none
Ban long signatures

Question

• I usually hang out in the Visual C++ forums where most (not all) of the signatures are mercifully brief.

But recently I have been spending time in the Using Forums category where many of the signatures are, frankly, outrageous. And this from people who seem to care passionately about the usability of the forums.

Could we please have a limit on the number of lines in a signature? For me, it could be just one line, but certainly not more than five. And no blank lines.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:54 AM

All replies

• This is a good idea. I agree that there would have to be a happy median between too short and too long of signatures since users have different objectives on the site. I'll look into this to determine if there would be an easy solution. Thanks for the suggestion!

Forums Program Manager

Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:40 PM
  • How about below signature ? that too from a MVP !!!

is it allowed ? I guess my request to that MVP has no effect whatsoever !!!

Thanks ! Jayawardhane

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:21 AM
  • That's the idea I'm trying to express.
    And that is a good one in my opinion.

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

My Forum Threads

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:41 PM
  • Maybe if everything from the sig downward was alpha'd-out a little (including controls and username), that would help distinguish the text content.

Even more, maybe framing around the entire text content with alph'd-down gray would help make it (the text content) pop out better.

Either way, that would also help tone down the sigs, while not stifling their authors' creativity.

I think this would be an improvement, but it would not eliminate the wasted vertical space.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:42 PM
  • I don't see the point of signatures at all.  Each post or reply shows the author of the post at the bottom right, with a clickable link to their profile and a hover card with more info.  That's more than enough information in my mind.  The truly critical badge information (MCC, MVP, MSFT, etc.) is displayed there as well.  Perhaps real name (if they chose to share it) could be there.

I suppose you could augment the hover card so it displayed all the information in the signature.

If I really want to know about someone, I'll click through to their profile.  That's where most information should be, in my opinion.

The information that people put in their signature does not need to be on every post.  In fact, I specifically think that it should not be on any post, and should be part of their profile.

Even modern email clients trim off the signature and hide it.  And I think it's appropriate.  It's a modern world, where we can click on the sender to get more info if we want it.

Why is the built-in display of the author's userid (and/or real name, if they so choose to share it) and profile info not sufficient such that people want a signature?  I personally don't like that it gets appended to every message.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Hi

Many, if not most forums allow users to switch off the display of signatures. Maybe a feature request for this forum to provide such a setting for their users?

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:35 AM