Windows Server Compatibility with other Windows OS RRS feed

• Question

• Are all Windows OS, including XP and Vista, compatible with Windows Home Server?  Also, do all computers connected to Windows Home Server have to be on the same OS?  
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:16 PM

Answers

• Supported operating systems for home computers:

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/windowshomeserver2011/supported-os-2.aspx

There's no requirement that every computer be running the same OS.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by N1ck3 Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:46 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by N1ck3 Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by N1ck3 Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:57 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:29 PM
  • The connector will need to be installed on any computer you want to have backed up to the server, or that you want remote access to (for supported operating systems; not all SKUs support this functionality), or that you want your server to monitor the health of, up to a maximum of 10 computers. More computers than that can connect to your server's shares, however; they're just standard Windows file shares.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:08 PM

All replies

• Supported operating systems for home computers:

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/windowshomeserver2011/supported-os-2.aspx

There's no requirement that every computer be running the same OS.

• Marked as answer by N1ck3 Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:46 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by N1ck3 Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:31 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:29 PM
  • One more question... This will be my first server install, as I am self-taught. I am curious to know more about the Windows Server Connector. Is this something that I have to install on the computers that will be connecting to the server? Maybe an obvious answer to this. Any additional info on installing this server would be helpful as well. Thanks!
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:11 PM
  • The connector will need to be installed on any computer you want to have backed up to the server, or that you want remote access to (for supported operating systems; not all SKUs support this functionality), or that you want your server to monitor the health of, up to a maximum of 10 computers. More computers than that can connect to your server's shares, however; they're just standard Windows file shares.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Thanks again for the help. 
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:58 PM