Several questions about the new version.... RRS feed

• Question

• Can we use the regular Disk Defragmenter now or do we still need to buy a 3rd party application? Can I stream over the web from Server 2011? Can I use regular anti-virus software now or do I need something made for WHS 2011? What's in place of the old Drive Extender capability? Can we use the original WHS add-ins? Finally, must the WHS Connector be installed on all PC's or can I access it like a normal domaiin ser such as \\server?

Thanks for your help.

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:32 PM

Answers

• James

Disk Defrag via the Dashboard is not supported - you would need something like the Raxco PerfectDisk. I am not sure what would happen with the native Disk Defrag but given DE has gone, I don't think there should be a problem. (albeit not via the Dashboard and thus unsupported).

AV is a smilar situation to above although there are none available at the moment for WHS2011 although they are in development.

Nothing replaces DE, other than yourself. You have to manually manage the location of your shares and on which disks they reside. There is no duplication but there is Server Backup which can be set to run multiple times per day witha 2GB limit. All this s via the Dashboard.

No to original WHS addins. Connector required for machines which want to access and manage the server via the Dashboard. Shared folders can be accessed as you suggest without the Connector installed.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Friday, July 8, 2011 10:10 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by jshoemaker21 Friday, July 8, 2011 10:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Friday, July 8, 2011 10:14 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:47 PM

All replies

• James

Disk Defrag via the Dashboard is not supported - you would need something like the Raxco PerfectDisk. I am not sure what would happen with the native Disk Defrag but given DE has gone, I don't think there should be a problem. (albeit not via the Dashboard and thus unsupported).

AV is a smilar situation to above although there are none available at the moment for WHS2011 although they are in development.

Nothing replaces DE, other than yourself. You have to manually manage the location of your shares and on which disks they reside. There is no duplication but there is Server Backup which can be set to run multiple times per day witha 2GB limit. All this s via the Dashboard.

No to original WHS addins. Connector required for machines which want to access and manage the server via the Dashboard. Shared folders can be accessed as you suggest without the Connector installed.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Friday, July 8, 2011 10:10 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by jshoemaker21 Friday, July 8, 2011 10:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Friday, July 8, 2011 10:14 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:47 PM
  • What do you mean a 2GB limit??? Also, I don't mind using desktop interface so is there an adverse effect if using Disk Defragmenter?

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:36 PM
  • What do you mean a 2GB limit??? Also, I don't mind using desktop interface so is there an adverse effect if using Disk Defragmenter?

James A+, Network+, MCP
    WHS 2011 uses .vhd (Virtual Hard Disk) files which are 32 bit and as such limited to 2TB. This is a limitation of the file format and unfortunately, something Microsoft felt was acceptable for release. Hopefully they figure out a way to at least span backups >2TB over multiple .vhd files in a future service pack, but until then you are better off running a scheduled robocopy of your larger shares to another drive and letting WHS back up the system drive.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:15 PM
  • ... Hopefully they figure out a way to at least span backups >2TB over multiple .vhd files in a future service pack, ...

Windows Home Server 2011 and associated business SKUs use Server Backup as implemented in Windows Server 2008 R2. All the HSBS group developed was a Dashboard wrapper for functionality that's already in the base OS. As such, the HSBS group is going to have to wait for another group to develop a solution to this.

In the meantime, robocopy (or richcopy) is an option, as is hand-crafting a set of backups for your server using desktop tools. You can also use a third party solution (I have no recommendations here, as I don't have enough data to stress the built-in solution and have no familiarity with consumer backup tools).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:40 PM
  • PhilipJH above states 2 GB limit. I'm assuming this is incorrect??? What is the limit and is it just for PC backups or server backups or both?

Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:11 PM
  • Why would you make that assumption when Kahmeal above explains the reason for the 2GB limit?

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:47 AM
  • PhilipJH, I think some are being confused by your continuing to type 2GB instead of 2TB...
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:34 AM
  • On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 06:47:50 +0000, PhilipJH wrote:

Why would you make that assumption when Kahmeal above explains the reason for the 2GB limit?

Because you've now stated twice that the limit is 2 GB while it, in fact,
    2 TB?

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    CRT: A movie about a little alien who forgets his telephone number and must
    write home.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:39 AM
  • OK, my mistake - 2TB. I knew what I meant!
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Are VHD files used to backup the Server or backup the PC's?

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:26 AM
  • On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:26:11 +0000, jshoemaker21 wrote:

Are VHD files used to backup the Server or backup the PC's?

Server backup only.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    A list is only as strong as its weakest link.  -- Don Knuth

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:28 PM
  • So how are PC backups stored? Just as plain files? If the Server backups are VHD's what happens if I want to restore one file?
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:03 PM
  • So how are PC backups stored? Just as plain files? If the Server backups are VHD's what happens if I want to restore one file?
    James A+, Network+, MCP

James, the client PC backups are stored (as clusters, not directly as files) in a proprietary database, so there's no way to read them other than with Windows Home Server. This hasn't changed since V1.

As for restoring, this is documented in the help. Please read up on the subject and get back to us if something isn't reasonably clear.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:29 PM
  • Where can I read about the Server backups in depth??? Where can I read about client PC backups in depth?
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, July 8, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Where can I find white papers?
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, July 8, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Server backup is the server backup feature implemented in Windows Server 2008 R2. As for client backups, they haven't changed much from V1, so all the basic information is still valid. I wouldn't look for white papers or technical briefs any time soon.
    Friday, July 8, 2011 10:09 PM
  • So what about streaming over the web? How do client backups work in V1? Can I restore individual files or not?

Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, July 8, 2011 10:12 PM
  • James, I very strongly recommend you do a little research of your own, rather than asking the forums to find and predigest information for you.

This thread has been marked answered because every question you initially posed has been answered. Many are answered in the basic documentation and online help, but they were all answered here as far as I can see. Most of them were answered several times.

If you have other questions, you can always create new threads. Adding more and more loosely (at best) related questions to this thread just serves to muddy the waters.

Friday, July 8, 2011 10:22 PM
  • You don't have links to  white papers... this is kind of foolish I want in depth detail on how remote streaming works... Appearently forums aren't foor questions anymore!
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, July 8, 2011 10:43 PM
  • You don't have links to  white papers... this is kind of foolish I want in depth detail on how remote streaming works... Appearently forums aren't foor questions anymore!

First and foremost, James, this forum is for peer-to-peer help and advice, with the occasional appearance of a WHS team member. Peer-to-peer means just that; we here don't have the wherewithal to help with much more than is publicly available in the various WHS forums/blogs. Some, like Ken and Philip have done the testing and research; thus, giving them an edge on the rest of us. Everyone in this forum who attempts to help is giving freely of his time and expertise! That doesn't mean they know everything; none of us has the right to gripe about the information given (or lack thereof)!

Ken told you the white papers are probably not available yet, so why are you complaining about his answers? He doesn't know any more than I do when and if white papers will be available. Neither do I because I'm one of the bottom feeders, gleaning information from questions asked and answered. I'd advise you to do the same.

If you want in depth detail on anything WHS 2011, I would suggest (as Ken did) that you do your own research. If it's available to Ken, Philip and lowly li'l ole me, then it's available to you. If it's not out there, then it's not out there.

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Well Nancy... I have my post up in case one of those few and far between times that a Microsoft employee does see the question. They have been helpful in the past.
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:37 PM
  • In the meantime, robocopy (or richcopy) is an option, as is hand-crafting a set of backups for your server using desktop tools. You can also use a third party solution (I have no recommendations here, as I don't have enough data to stress the built-in solution and have no familiarity with consumer backup tools).
    Rather than re-invent the wheel, are there batch files using robocopy or richcopy that users have developed and would be willing to post that reproduce the functionality of WHS V1?  I miss the the ability to duplicate shared folders across multiple drives.  Thanks in advance!!!

Friday, July 22, 2011 2:55 PM