Filecopy to and from WHS and/or network issues. RRS feed

• Question

• Filecopy to WHS and/or network issues.

I want to copy large files (i.e. >2GB) from and to my win 7 pro computer to my WHS. Both systems are in a Gb Network. Unfortunatley copy Performance is bad, it starts initially with +-10 Mb/s on a Gb Network but after copying about 1 GB of data (i've confirmed this with multiple source files) the copy speed drops to under 1 Mb/s and in some cases giving error messages "share is unreachable" although the share is present and usable on my win7 system.
    What have I done so far:

1) The network itself is healthy as proven by 2 other systems (also a win7 and WHS server) where file copy of the same files gets speeds in the 85-100 Mb/s. I've used the same cables and same Gb Switch.

2) On my WIN 7 system I've up and downgraded NIC drivers,uninstalled "remote differential compression" and even restored a "clean freshly" install of win 7. I've set the NIC on autonegotiation and 1Gb full duplex. Further,the
    event logs give no error or relevant warnings whatsoever. File copies to other shares (my mediaplayer for instance) are happening with expected speeds. No result achieved.

3)on my WHS system I've up and downgraded NIC drivers, used the chkdsk script as been advised in the faq,I've set
    the NIC on autonegotiation and 1Gb full duplex. Further, the event logs give no error or relevant warnings whatsoever. No result achieved.

All of the above leads me believe the problem lies in the WHS itself....but what problem?

Anyone have any ideas?
    • Edited by BartS. _ Monday, May 3, 2010 8:01 AM update for GB/Gb remark
    Monday, May 3, 2010 5:32 AM

Answers

• This could be the same issue I had with my whs. One of my drives got stuck in PIO mode instead of DMA.

My sollution was as described in the workaround section here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472 however, after my controller was reinstalled I had to open up the device manager again and view the controller once again, and got asked to reboot once again. After that my system performance was back to normal.
    No drives should be working in PIO mode. If you find any in PIO, perform the steps described here. If the problem comes back, you should start checking cables etc to see what is causing this.

• Marked as answer by BartS. _ Monday, May 3, 2010 11:19 AM
    Monday, May 3, 2010 10:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

this issue has been raised several times before and, with my understanding, never brought to a solution. The nearest I get is that it's a Win7 issue. Hope someone gets to the right diagnosis and remedy.

Incidentally, GB is GIGABYTES and Gb is GIGABITS - quite a difference. Tranfers rates are measured in BYTES/sec, network bandwidth in bits/sec.

Monday, May 3, 2010 7:56 AM
  • Actually I don't think it's a only win7 issue. This becasue the transferrate of a copy of files from my WHS to my mediaplayer is atrocious as well.....but the fact this issue has been raised several times is a cause of concern.
    Monday, May 3, 2010 8:10 AM
  • This could be the same issue I had with my whs. One of my drives got stuck in PIO mode instead of DMA.

My sollution was as described in the workaround section here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472 however, after my controller was reinstalled I had to open up the device manager again and view the controller once again, and got asked to reboot once again. After that my system performance was back to normal.
    No drives should be working in PIO mode. If you find any in PIO, perform the steps described here. If the problem comes back, you should start checking cables etc to see what is causing this.

• Marked as answer by BartS. _ Monday, May 3, 2010 11:19 AM
    Monday, May 3, 2010 10:29 AM
  • Thanks for the tip! I have a WHS with 6 1,5 TB drives and one of them has indeed fallen into PIO mode. Applied the workaround like the kb-article suggests and voila. I got most of my performance back . However, this raises the question how one of my drives got into PIO mode in the first place. SMART, chkdsk and other disk checks all report that all disks are healty. maybe one of the drives is failing veeery slooowly?

Monday, May 3, 2010 11:19 AM
  • Could be as easy as a bad cable, or a cable not properly connected. I never got any errors on my system either, I will just wait and see if it comes back and start troubleshooting then. You might want to write down which drive was affected. if it's the same next time, replace the data cable and use another power connector if you have any available.

Also, you say that you got most of the performance back. I did notice the same but I got it back after a few minutes. Might be that the server was balancing and/or indexing files.

Monday, May 3, 2010 12:37 PM
  • I think one of my disks is failing. I used the performance monitor on my 6 disks and saw the drive which was in PIO mode still performing very badly. Ofcourse this disk contains my only non-duplicated folder (thank you Mr. Murphy) and in an effort to get data off this disk the disk began to give a omnious clicking sound. After several attempts to remove the drive from WHS (The disk vanished several times in the device management only to reappear after reboot) my system drive is starting to give an omnious clicking sound. Damn it....these drives are 1 month old.... I wonder...Is it possible for the system drive to affect performance of the data drives?
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:22 AM
  • I'm not surprised that a 1 month drive can fail. Last week I received a drive after sending one in claiming RMA. Got a brand new drive and it was totally dead. You never know.

Anyway, how much data is in that folder, and are you able to survive without it? Before trying to remove the drive from the pool, try to shut down the server and install that drive to another computer and copy the files manually starting with most important ones. I have noticed that my win 7 computer sometimes get stuck loading windows if a failing drive is connected, but most of the time a usb-sata adapter works.

A faulty system drive could cause bad performance. If the drive is in PIO, the CPU will have to work a lot just to transfer data (more or less the reason we use DMA today) and that will affect the overall performance.
    Am I getting this right. Is it the system drive that went to PIO before, or are you experiencing problems with two drives? I'm not saying that it's impossible but I've never experienced myself that one drive can cause another drive to drop to PIO, so if one data drive was playing tricks earlier and the system drive is bad as well, you're really in a bad situation. 1 failing drive ok, 2... not so good...

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:38 AM
  • update: I removed the suspected failing dive from the system and put it in another system.There, Chkdsk gave the disk a clean bill of health. After a format the disk works as usual.

• Edited by BartS. _ Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:54 PM typo
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:54 PM